Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
puremoco.com

Curved walls

Hello together,

I have my UM2 since 2 weeks and printed so far without any problems. But now I have encountered this problem:

DSC 1579

DSC 1575

DSC 1573

The top side of this object should be printed straight, but somehow there is a curve in it. The bottom side was printed ok:

DSC 1578

I habe took a look at the glass bed and found that there was a little bit of warping:

DSC 1555DSC 1554

The warping is very small, so I can not imagine, that this is the reason for the curved wall. Could there be any other caus for this?

--------

Filament: Silver-metallic PLA which comes with the UM2

Software: Simplify3D

Speed: 40 mm/s

Fans: 100 %

Heat bed: 70°C with glue stick

Nozzle temp: 220°C

Try again eith a raft. Material compression it's more noticeable on large areas specially if the infill was high (more material more tension while cooling).

70C is too hot for the bed. I know it's the default for most UM2's but 50C is plenty hot for PLA and there is no improvement at higher temps. This could be the problem if the part fell over when you were done and sat on the bed for a full 20 seconds at 70C. But I doubt that happened.

I often think I've seen "every kind of print issue" but this is new to me - I've never printed out something quite this kind of shape. Does it have to be hollow inside? Could you put a vertical support wall touching that curved wall while it prints and cut it out later?

You definitely also want to add brim on the basic tab under "support structure".

Those are my two pieces of advice and will help some things but won't help this issue you asked about.

Could it be fan related? The fan can really make prints better but you don't have any overhangs or bridging that I see so maybe put the fan at 30% and see if that makes any difference - just a guess here.