Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
ian

my main colling fan sounds like a old tractor ?

hi guys.

I have just completed the building for my ultimaker number 2.

the printing is running right out of the box fantastically. really quite stunning seeing this printer, power on, click print with cura and the ultimaker just kicks off and does the work..... ohhhh i love it.

But my little small point with my ultimaker 2 is, the colling fan at the bottom of the printer, is running fine but sounds so loud and like a old diesel tractor from russia....

i took the colling plate with fan away from the board, and turned the ultimaker on, there is nothing touching or making contact with the fan. but it still sounds like a old diesel motor.

very weird because my first ultimaker, runs like a purring pussy cat .

any ideas guys ??

thanks.

Ian

someone posted that the fan is mounted upside down, and indeed if I take the fan assembly off and turn it over the fan is MUCH quieter. I figure I'll rebuild the fan assembly later to flip the fan, and that should solve that. No need to muck with electronics or airflow patterns, just hack the case a bit.

can you post a photo of your hacked version ?

thanks.

Ian

Ian,

I haven't rebuilt the case yet. I'm still trying to get the first print out of the thing. We sorted the main root of our trouble out over the weekend, though- the extruder drive motor port on the Ultimaker board was faulty. David wrote custom firmware to use the second extruder port instead and we shifted the polulu and motor connector over and went through testing beautifully and were all ready to print... when the Bowden tube popped off the extruder head assembly. We called it a night; I'll rebuild the head shortly.

On the fan, though, I've downloaded the case laser cut diagrams, and am planning to redesign them to flip the fan, and cut them out in my local maker space. Sometime after I can get the machine printing- hopefully later in the week. :-)

I have insulated the transmission of vibrations between the fan and the rest of the machine by adding small pieces of EVA to all the bolts in the fan and original cover and also sanding the plywood in order not to touch the fan. I also took away all the tape I had put around the fan duck. It is not needed. The insulation works two ways: The fan's sound is not amplified by the case and also the fan is subjected to less vibration, making it quieter.

It makes a big difference and it's really easy to implement. Actually, that could come standard in all new UMs. Just make the cover's hole for the fan 1 mm wider, and add some vibration absorbing washers. The white spacers could also be made of a softer material too.

Fan Insulation

I have insulated the transmission of vibrations between the fan and the rest of the machine by adding small pieces of EVA to all the bolts in the fan and original cover and also sanding the plywood in order not to touch the fan. I also took away all the tape I had put around the fan duck. It is not needed. The insulation works two ways: The fan's sound is not amplified by the case and also the fan is subjected to less vibration, making it quieter.

It makes a big difference and it's really easy to implement. Actually, that could come standard in all new UMs. Just make the cover's hole for the fan 1 mm wider, and add some vibration absorbing washers. The white spacers could also be made of a softer material too.

Fan Insulation