Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
titanservices

Extruder getting off course

Hi,

I got my Ultimaker 2 in Janurary, and have been getting good quality prints for the past 4 months.

I am attending a trade show this weekend, and was invited to bring my 3d printer, so in anticipation, I have printed about 10 objects for example.

Suddenly, starting yesterday, I have been having a problem where the extruder is printing just fine, and then suddenly I hear a kind of grind sound, like the belt is slipping, and the whole nozzle and everything moves to the right about 10mm. And it keeps printing like nothing happened. I have attached a photo. I was printing a vase that should be straight up.

I did buy some sewing machine oil and did oil the x and y shafts, but its still bad.

Any help for this newbie before my show on Friday????

95% of the time it's a loose set screw on the pulleys. Especially when it's a large sudden move like this. So get a 2mm hex allen wrench and tighten the hell out of the axis that is slipping. It's 70% of the time the one on the motor itself so you may have to remove the cover over the motor which only has 2 screws holding it in. You may have to also separate the motor from the wall which is another 4 screws - position the bed just under the motor so you can rest it on the bed if you need to take a quick break.

occasoinally it's the other pulley on the short belt. Very rarely it's one of the other 3 or 4 pulleys for that axis.