long print times with 15.02.1

prb4

Posted · long print times with 15.02.1

I am using a Ultimaker 2.

I have updated my version of Cura from 14.09 to 15.02.1 and noticed that the print times are considerably longer.

I noticed on several prints that they were taking longer than the time predicted by Cura so I ran a test.

I sliced the same model with the same profile, positioned in the same place and orientation on the bed in Cura version 14.09 and 15.02.1.

The firm ware on the printer was also the same (15.01) not that I think that is relevent.

Version 14.09

Cura predicted 1 hour 15 min

The print actually took 1 hour 17 min

Version 15.02.1

Cura predicted 1 hour 12 min

The print actually took 1 hour 56 min.

With longer prints the extra time with 15.02.1 gets longer as well.

Has the fault been reported before?

Does anyone know what's happening here?

For now I will go back to using 14.09 but I would like to be reassured that any future versions of Cura won't have this problem.

Thanks

Peter

Hi, Peter!

I was faced with a slightly different feature, but the same kind: print time was changed in strange ways. at one point of time the printer screen showed 28 hours to complete, after 15 minutes the value was equal to 18 hours. At the end it showed 1 second until printing is finished exactly 19 minutes and 30 seconds... Also ( but it is a subjective impression) route print head is laid not in an optimal way. Because of this, in the printing process without the use of retraction on the outer edge of the object, artifacts can appear in the intersection of the route of movement of the print head

Hi Ivan

You appear to have noticed something odd with your machine but it is not the same problem that I am reporting.

I would just like to be clear that the times I quoted above are what Cura estimates after slicing. Nothing to do with the machine "Time left estimate".

The actual print times are times I measured using a stop watch, again nothing to do with the machine "Time left " estimate.

It might be that the estimate is now more accurate, or that the actual paths have been changed for the better. I think you should stick to the new version of Cura.

Do the models take longer to print in actuality as well? Can you test the actual printing time vs. the predicted printing time?

Hi Bagel

Please read what I have written above more carefully.

I have already performed the test you suggest and written the results in my original post.

The new version of Cura made the actual print time take about 50 % longer.

Have you inspected the print in layer mode in Cura? With the latest version I do see lots of needless retractions and single extrusions that will increase print time considerably.

Hi Nicolinux

Sorry for the long time replying but I didn't get notified of your message, probably something to do with the change of the website.

I have looked at the layer view, but it is difficult for me to determine if there are needless retractions etc. I don't think I am skilled enough in looking at the layer views to know what is and is not necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't something like what you suggest that is causing the increase in time.

What I can say is that I haven't noticed any significant difference in the quality/finish of the final product, just very long print times.