Faberdashery breaking during long print

lnpurnell

Posted · Faberdashery breaking during long print

I am currently using loose faberdashery filament. I have it below my printer and I also have it on a lazy susan but during long prints the filament gets tangled and snaps.

I try and unravel it but it seems to break during the night when I can't get to it and wrecks a while print job.

Any tips?

I didn't want to have to print a whole filament holder (as it seems to be a waste) but I don't think I have another choice now.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Leigh

Hi Leigh, some times it can tangle, ive designed a comprehensive filament holder that can be adjusted to all diameters, I use it for my Faberdashery filaments, I mount it on my dovetail mounting system, both availabe on YouMagine.

I mount it on the top edge on my um2, untangle the filament once as I load it for the 1st time, no problems since, I then use my little clips and loom bands to retain the filament in storage without retangling.

Take a look no obligations :-)

Izzy

I've had a few snaps with the coil on the floor! As you say, really annoying, especially on a long print!

Just in case this happens again, If you see the break (you hear it snap) is there a successful way to save the print, like pausing and loading new filament?

Happened to me a couple of times, annoying indeed. I try to unravel and free up the estimated correct length now before leaving large print jobs alone!

Once I was around when I could see it knotting at the feeder entrance, clip it off with pliers and manually push up a new section right behind it.

EDIT: Oh where abouts in Bham are you?

Happened to me a couple of times, annoying indeed. I try to unravel and free up the estimated correct length now before leaving large print jobs alone!

Once I was around when I could see it knotting at the feeder entrance, clip it off with pliers and manually push up a new section right behind it.

EDIT: Oh where abouts in Bham are you?

I live and work in the city centre, my office is just by Aston University.

I have just brought some empty filament spools off eBay and I'm going to give them a go, its too unreliable and wasteful to leave it loose.

Just gotta work out how to wind the filament on properly.

Well after 18 months of trouble free motoring I am not sure what you guys are doing with your Fab filament. I will say that before a looong print I will go though each coil of the filament to make sure it is all coiled correctly, which is not always the case.

If you are printing unattended and there is a twist in the coil then that will catch you out as eventually it will quite probably snag at the entrance to the printer although sometimes it "rights" itself. You can get the same problem off a spool too though which in my experience will not "right" itself

Hey Yellow

I would say 99% of the time no issues at all with Fab filament. The tangling when it does happen can be a right PITA!