UM2 shows signs of wear and tear on the rods

arnold

Posted · UM2 shows signs of wear and tear on the rods

Used my UM2 for about 400 printing hours mostly with PLA. Starting about 6 weeks ago the X/Y transport squeeks when moving over the middle of the X/Y axes. (Sparse!) Oiling helps nothing. On close inspection I found lots of black small speckles in the middle of the rods.

Black spots on the X/Y rods squeeking movement

I am not able to remove these small speckles neither with soft / hard brushes nor with warm water / soap or even alcohol.

What do the experts suggest?

I suspect that plain bearing is dirty or damaged. The cured coating of the linear shaft is also damaged, you should promptly replace both components.

Maybe your UM2 came with incorrectly installed linear guide.

During the whole machine operating time, components could have loosened, and therefore the entire linear guide is distorted / stiff.

Markus

Lol, I hear all sorts of weird and wonderful noises but they tend to stop after a while, i oiled my bars with sewing oil which greatly helped (i think?), and my bars look quite similar, i'll let it die before i change them or untill the quality of print reduces, i wont worry about it. I print non stop long high rez jobs as well, ive been wondering how long before stuff starts failing as well!

Fine oil is compulsory from the beginning, then at regular 45 to 60 hour intervals. The interval distances are dependent on other factors such as the ambient climate.

Ultimaker could leave you replacement parts free of charge, because definitely there is a defect. You can submit at any time a support ticket.

The problems you described I do not see on my more than a year old UM2 (~ 1,400 operating hours / ~ 987 meters of material).

Markus