Using the Ultipanel with RAMPS...

droopas

Posted · Using the Ultipanel with RAMPS...

Seems the Ultipanel was designed for Ultimaker not a RAMPS 1.4 board. However the smaller dimension compared to the RepRapDiscount LCD allows it to be used in a tighter space, though this is not significant in most cases.

That said, in my case I need to use the Ultipanel (read: I found a sweet case that I want to use). I thought setting it up in Marlin would be straightforward, however if I used the #define Ultipanel, the display would beep and flash, and I think the code was intended for Ultimaker electronics.

How I got it (mostly) working: defining it as a RepRapDiscount controller got me halfway there. What I needed to do was disable KILL_PIN, otherwise the message 'KILLED' would be displayed at startup. What is now not working, is that it doesn't react when an SD card is inserted. I tested the same firmware with a RepRapDiscount, and in that case it does see an SD card inserted. So there obviously are some variables in Marlin that needs redefining. I'm just not sure which ones.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the schematics, you will find that the pin that the RepRap-panel uses for the kill-pin is defined as a 3.3V supply voltage on the UltiController.

The 3.3V supply is used to power the SD-card and level-shifter IC. To make stuff works, uncomment the killpin in your pins_RAMPS-file, and solder a wire from the 3.3V-pin on the Arduino to this pin. This will supply the UltiController with 3.3V for the SD-card and remove the kill-funktion.

I had some of the same issues I guess... I switched to a Rumba board, but could not get the UltimakerController to work with that no matter how I defined it en Marlin (best I could get was two lines of squares)...

So I bought a RepRap SmartController instead and got that to work easily... It is bigger though, so I kind of perfer my old Ultimaker Controller and its retro radio style box -_-