Ultimaker 2 leaning prints. Please help.

laate

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 leaning prints. Please help.

Hey, guys! I just bought an Ultimaker 2 for the studio, and the first several prints were perfect. Since then I've seen increasingly "leaning" prints. I took a look at the excellent visual troubleshooting guide put together by 3DVerkstan. That helped in the diagnosis -- yes, my prints are leaning.

Initially the prints were looking solid. But over time, they're starting to "lean" significantly. Here are a few examples:

IMG_0597.thumb.JPG.7c8ae8d52699931aaa3aaf09b8eb1bf9.JPG

IMG_0598.thumb.JPG.b2f48a373c31dc047259a1d04e50e5c0.JPG

The next question is: how *exactly* do I correct this issue? I read about adjusting pulleys, etc. but I couldn't find an equivalent Visual fixing guide. Does such a thing exist? I want to get this right, and I'd love to know how to correct the issue.

Any thoughts on how to solve for this Leaning issue in my new Ultimaker 2 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

:: laate

IMG_0597.thumb.JPG.7c8ae8d52699931aaa3aaf09b8eb1bf9.JPG

IMG_0598.thumb.JPG.b2f48a373c31dc047259a1d04e50e5c0.JPG

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Posted · Ultimaker 2 leaning prints. Please help.

I'm the one who wrote the guide. What about the process to fix the issue is it that you find difficult to understand? You either have a loose pulley which is fixed by tightening the indicated screw(s). Or, probably more likely, the pulley of the motor is rubbing against the side of the printer. To fix that you need to first loosen the screw, then slide the pulley closer to the motor and finally re-tighten. Depending on if you can reach the screw while the motor is in place or not you might also have to remove the motor first.

• Like 1

It's a fantastic guide! Thanks so much for putting this whole thing together. It's extraordinarily helpful (and I don't know what I would have done without it). I don't know how else I would have identified "Leaning."

I didn't know how the guide identified "pulley," so that set me back for a few little while. I also wasn't certain how to really get to the screw. Perhaps it was the limitation of the tools that I have (I don't know), but I did have to remove the motor first (so thanks for adding that).

I've tightened the pulleys closer to the servo motors, so I'll see how things go. Stay tuned...

I'm the one who wrote the guide. What about the process to fix the issue is it that you find difficult to understand? You either have a loose pulley which is fixed by tightening the indicated screw(s). Or, probably more likely, the pulley of the motor is rubbing against the side of the printer. To fix that you need to first loosen the screw, then slide the pulley closer to the motor and finally re-tighten. Depending on if you can reach the screw while the motor is in place or not you might also have to remove the motor first.

Great news! The corrections you suggested worked like a charm. I did have to remove both motors to access the screws (that took a little bit of work, but nothing too bad). The net result: the third and most recent print looks right. Thanks so much for the excellent guide.

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.89f42862a89d4e4c7c013f48c313b6e8.JPG

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.89f42862a89d4e4c7c013f48c313b6e8.JPG

• Like 2

@IRobertI: I took another photo to show the exact location that we're trying to minimize when folks encounter a leaning issue. If it helps, feel free to use it. All the best.

IMG_0610.thumb.JPG.432f4840c129e2d0550407ff5d1b9dca.JPG

• 1 year later...

I'm having the leaning issue as well. I've adjust my pulleys and it improved a little, but I'm still getting leaning. One thing I noticed is my small belt to the servo keeps walking over close to the servo. I try to center it on the teeth of both pulleys but it always walks back over. Could this be causing drag? If so, are you aware of any solutions?

Thanks for your feedback.

• 2 years later...
    Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 leaning prints. Please help.

Had Same issue with leaning Prints
    After checking it out it seems that a washers was rubbing againtst the pully.
    Removed the washer that wasn't really neaded and problem seems to have been fixed
    Never thought of looking at that, was looking in the software as I thought it was due to layer shift.

Had this issue on the Original Ultimakar

thx a bunch

Edited by tcarnal
    • Like 1