Most flexible UMO replacement hot end? Your recommendations please.

Posted · Most flexible UMO replacement hot end? Your recommendations please.

My home made hot end developed a clog after 3 years of casual use printing mostly PLA. In recent months, I began to print some ABS parts without issue. All was good until I set the machine to pre-heat, and fell asleep. The machine was at ABS temp (245C) for at least an hour. The ABS melt migrated up into the bowden tube and adhered creating a clog that requires bowden replacement.

So I am in a situation where I am re-assessing which hot end to rebuild with. As a temporary measure, I will most likely have to repair the existing set-up to print mounting hardware. I am weighing that as a permanent measure against going to something more standardized.

I want to be able to print a wider range of temps for the greatest possible flexibility in print media. I want to be able to print from PLA temps at least up to ABS temps and reasonably beyond if possible.

I want to stick with 3mm filament - just stocked up on it. I have grown used to quick nozzle change-over and will require that in any future system.

It would seem that an E3D would be in my future. I am concerned about the finicky performance I have read about with the fin cooling fan and PLA clogging in the top section. It seems the PTFA lined version may not be good for ABS.

What advice does the brain trust have for me?

Thanks,

Matt

Posted (edited) · Most flexible UMO replacement hot end? Your recommendations please.

I believe the PTFA lined E3D version is only for. 1.75 mm. filament..

Ive run a E3D v5 on my UMO for a long time, and was very very happy with it... once you assemble it right (get the lower fin cooled, and tighten nozzle while hotend is hot) it works absolutely great and just prints and prints... they have a wide selection of great nozzles as well.

I initially went with the easy solution of reusing the UMO heatblock, just fitting an E3D nozzle in it and swrewing it into the cooling fins... After switching to a new electronics board, I now have a v6 heatblock with a 40w 24V heater, and that is srewed into the v5 cooling fins... works absolutely great.

The v6 comes with an injection molded fan duct that clips right onto the cooling fins, so the days of getting that wrong and not cooling the bottom fin, are over.

Edited by Guest

Tommyph1208, I am thinking of using an E3D nozzle in my UMO+ heatblock in the near future (I want to go stainless to print lots of Bronzefill) - is it just a case of unscrewing the original nozzle and screwing the new one in its place or do I have to change another part too?

Hey kvones

So you wanna keep the stock UM hotend, PEEK and all? And only replace the nozzle?

Sure you can just unscrew the stock UM nozzle and put in an E3D one, the threads are the same.

• Like 1

Thank you Tommy, that's great! I might exchange the original hotend for an E3D one eventually, mostly to print in higher temps, but for the moment I would be content to use the stainless nozzles to print bigger bronzefill objects without worrying about wear, and maybe to try the different diameters available.