Filament wheel getting stuck? - Extrusion problem

KayZey78

Posted (edited) · Filament wheel getting stuck? - Extrusion problem

Decided to do my first "larger" print today and it was going great, but something went wrong during the night.

I troubleshoot this morning and it happened again. The filament wheel behind the printer is simply put, stuck. Seems like the printer at some point pulls it free, but then the damage is already done, as you can see with the T-Rex model here:

CLICK

What can I do to insure that the wheel doesn't get stuck? Any tips?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Filament wheel getting stuck? - Extrusion problem

Are you talking about the filament Spool?

This can sometimes get tangled. You may need to unravel a bit and remove any tangles. When you install a new roll this can easily be done by mistake so should be checked before printing. Some people lay the spool on the floor and so it makes it easier for it to unwind. Another thing that helps is Roberts roll holder. It can be found on youmagine but this won't remove any tangles.

• Like 1

Posted · Filament wheel getting stuck? - Extrusion problem

It's not because it gets tangled up. The filament spool is simply stuck, somehow. When I turn it, I can feel it pops out of something, like it needs just a little bit of force to get going again.

Posted (edited) · Filament wheel getting stuck? - Extrusion problem

@kayzay it does get tangled, it happened to me twice and i decided never again as i was doing 48 hrs prnts and got pissed off. this is also the cause of uneven layering, due to to inconsistent variations in pressure into the feeder head cos of the jams. i never print of the spool anymore. i just measure what i need off the spool and cut it off and balance it on the holder. flawless prints eversince and i get perfect layering as a bonus. bout half a meter wasted each time, but its a price im more than willing to pay, and after i have a lot i can always recycle it, so its not really wasted.

Edited by Guest