Day 1, can't even begin to get anything resembling a print.

Posted · Day 1, can't even begin to get anything resembling a print.

I previously had a Rostock Max V1, which was my first printer.  Got several prints out of it, nothing I would consider good.  Got tired of constantly having to fiddle with it.  Ordered the Ultimaker2 and can't even begin to get a print off of it.  First it was giving some error about X or Y limit switch being broken.  Turns out the gear on the Y stepper was not even close to being tight.  Tightened that up and it fixed that issue.  Now I am trying to get it to print.  I've calibrated the stage probably 20 times now.  When I start the print, the nozzle runs up to the front left corner and spews out a bunch of filament.  Then it strings it across the build plate to the start position for the print.  Then it extrudes and drags filament around without it sticking at all.  So, I smear a little glue on it and back the front screws out a bit to bring the plate closer to the nozzle.  No change.  So I re-calibrate the build plate and this time it must be too close because nothing is coming out.  Although I've noticed that the only time filament comes out is when I have gone to the maintenance screen and dumped a bunch of filament manually.  If I stop a print and try to make a change to the build plate, then abort and restart the print, filament always fails to come out.  I bought the Ultimaker2 because I thought it was going to be more or less plug and play.  This does not seem to be the case, despite what one might think because you certainly don't have the access to tweak it like my previous printer.  Did I make a mistake buying it and should I return it?  Is there some silly little thing I'm overlooking?  I don't want to be a 3D printer tweaker and fine tuning expert.  I just want to make parts.  Please help.  If there is anyone in the Fort Worth, TX area that know how to set one of these things up, I would be happy to bring it to you for some pointers.

Hi and welcome to the community,

The Ultimaker 2 is a very good printer don't worry, i wouldn't call it plug and play (like all of the 3d printers) from time to time you need to get a bit of dirt on your hands.

But most of the time it just does what it's supposed to do: print.

So from what i understand the main problem is the bed level being to close or to far. Problems with the first layer.

First of all, what material do you print with (what are the parameters).

To level the build plate follow the wizard with a piece of paper. Then fine tune during the first layer of a print by turning the 3 screws. After a while you will not even use the paper anymore, just level, fine tune during a print and that's all (and only once every now and then).

Next thing, glue. You seem to have added some but without success. What i usually do to apply glue:

Put roughly some glue on the buildplate.

Take a wet cloth (just a little wet), and apply the glue all over the build plate.

For temperature if you print PLA, 60°c is hot enough.

I hope to have answered your questions

WHen you say that it spews out the filament in the corner, does it then dip the nozzle in the pool and drag the whole thing to the start of the print? In that case factory reset from menu on printer itself.

What @DidierKlein says can be emphasized more: levelling bed correctly. take som time doing that. when you come to the part where you should slide paper and turn the menu wheel "until you feel restistance", then back off 2-3 clicks using wheel. There is then hardly any resistance when sliding paper. PLay with the wheel back and forth.

This will leave a gap slightly higher than the thickness of the paper.

In the corner turn the screws carefully when the headhas moved there. Use the paper. LOOK. As the build gap about the same is in the rear, initial measuring spot? Repeat right corner.

You will rarely do this again!

Start with PLA. it is a bit easier. 210C.

Heated bed with glue and I say 60C to start, then work down from there.

You did not offer any other params, so here we go:

In Cura set layer height to 0.2mm. Leave speed at default 50 or even better, reduce to 30mm/s.

Our first goal is to make the first layer stick to the plate.

The rest is then much easier!

@Harley573: We stay with you until you manage!

Yahoo!  I don't know what I did differently, but after cooling off, (myself, not the printer), I tried to re-level the bed and run a print and it worked great.  Did the "coffin's cube file" and all 6 parts printed off nicely.