Urgent help!

lukem96

Posted · Urgent help!

I just received my Ultimaker 2, and I was setting up and everything was going fine, until I had to put the filament in, it went in about 10cm then stopped flowing, and the bit that turns started to chew up the filament, I don't want to do anything wrong so I have just left it, what do i do??

Thanks!

Posted · Urgent help!

Don't stress!

I guess you turned the printer off?

You can probably pull the filament by hand, cut the piece that was grinded, make sure to cut it with a "V" shape to make it enter easily.

Then restart the process of inserting material.

You may help the filament by pushing by hand if it happens again.

My guess is that it was stuck at the entrance of the bowden

Posted · Urgent help!

Maybe do like this then:

Go to the material menu and choose change, this will unload the material.

Or go to maintenance, move material and turn the button anti clockwise to unload the filament.

I re-read and saw that it was stuck in 10cm, i guessed it was at the exit of the feeder so that was wrong.

Odd that it was stuck there... what is the filament your are using?

Posted · Urgent help!

I don't think i can do this as i am on the set up menu?:(

I'm using PLA that came new with the printer

Posted · Urgent help!

I don't remember well but isn't there a way to cancel or skip the initial startup wizard?

Posted · Urgent help!

No it doesn't seem like it, the only option i have is to continue

Posted · Urgent help!

Think you can just pull out the filament you won't damage the feeder. Then continue setup. You can even continue setup without filament loaded and load it again afterwards. If you see grinded plastic in the feeder try to remove it with f.e. tweezers.

Posted · Urgent help!

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is. There could be a nozzle clog, a bowden tube clog, or the filament may be ground down in the feeder.

Be aware that you can always just cut power and start over. I don't remember what the very first power sequence on a new printer looks like anymore - I think it wants you to level the bed maybe? Or load filament? It's only been a few weeks since I did this but I forget already. lukem you can call customer support - they are very good at this kind of thing.

Anyway if power is off and head is still hot (over 180C) then you should be able to cut power and just pull the filament out the bottom of the feeder. If it breaks you can remove the bowden tube from one or both ends.

The bowden is the clear plastic tube.

To remove at the feeder end is much easier. To remove at either end remove the small colored horse shoe clip. Then push down hard on the part that was being held up by the clip and pull up on the bowden at the same time. If you don't push down hard enough there are tiny metal blades in the clip that will scrape your bowden.

If/When putting it back together at the print head you want it pretty tight so loosen the 4 screws 2 full turns, then insert the bowden, then lift on the part that holds the bowden in place while tightening the 4 screws again so the bowden is secure - when inserting the bowden also look inside the head from the front and make sure it is seated nicely inside the white teflon part.

Most parts are strong and you can push or pull on the filament with up to about 10 pounds or 5kg of force safely - enough to lift the printer off a table.