Understanding bed temperature.

FLG

Posted · Understanding bed temperature.

Hi there all. I am on the steep end of the learning curve having had my printer just one week, but climbing fast!

One thing that I can't see much instruction on is temperature management of the heated bed. . . . or more specifically turning it off or reducing the temperature during a print.

At the moment I have been printing with the bed at the same temperature all the way through the prints. Using the UM Silver PLA that came with the printer only at the moment. Everything is working fine and I have printed several objects with good results.

Over the weekend I will be moving to ColorFabb XT Black and Clear, adjusting settings naturally, but I read in the forum people are turning their heaters off or down after a certain height depending on the material they are using or the type of shape they are printing. I see how to do this with plugins, but what are the general guidelines for reducing or even turning the heater off??

I will be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

I have a big test producing a large part in Black XT and I don't want to run the heater for several hours if it is not necessary!

Exhaust.thumb.jpg.50293c1a905591ccdafcccc80c0931ee.jpg

Exhaust.thumb.jpg.50293c1a905591ccdafcccc80c0931ee.jpg

Dont turn the heater off... Most probably your print will pop off the build plate if you do so...

There might be an idea in having the bed be a bit warmer in the beginning to get a really good adhesion (but i dont know), and then reducing it after a few layers, to prevent elephants foot

Generally you don't need to adjust it and shouldn't adjust it at all. If you reduce the bed temp there is the likely hood that the print may come unstuck from the bed. Especially if you turn it off.

Having the temp to high on parts with low overhangs can cause them to be ugly.

Have high temp at the start help bed adhesion. but if you need low temp there are still ways to make sure the parts are going to stick.

I never adjust mine and don't need to, If you have the correct settings then there is no problem.

Don't worry about leaving it on during a long print, It wont harm anything, But if your worried about running costs then find another hobby :p

LOL running costs are the last things I worry about. I build, fly, and yes, crash scale model aeroplanes. 3D printing is a cheap "add on" compared to the cost of that just ask my wife . . . . on second thoughts best not ;)

Interesting comments and going along with my thoughts of introducing stresses that would be be unwelcome in the process. I do find parts lift off the bead easier once everything has cooled down. I use thinned PVA on the glass which has not let me down so far.

So thermostat remains the same. Easy enough!

Thanks for the quick replies :)