Second extruder on Ultimaker

Posted (edited) · Second extruder on Ultimaker

So I would like to setup a second new designed extruder on my Ultimaker 2 and have the parts and Nema motor ready.   Obviously Ultimaker was thinking about the option of having a second extruder motor since the case has the holes drilled out for a second extruder.  Since Ultimaker will not be providing a dual extruder solution in the near future (so wrong!!) why not use the setup option to support a second extruder for flexibility?  

I've read in the forum that the firmware for the UM2 supports a second extruder. Can someone confirm that the firmware does support two extruders?  My first objective is to setup a 1.75mm extruder on the UM2. Why? Because there are some seriously cool new materials that are only available in the 1.75mm format.  Why should we be left out of printing these just because we chose to support a UM2?  Lets turn the UM2 into a flexible monster of a machine for the experimenters!  I refuse to buy an UMO just to print 1.75mm filaments.  I will hack first and if that fails buy another companies printer (oh the shame).

I have talked to UM2 support regarding the electronics for the second extruder motor and they pointed me to this link:  https://github.com/ultimaker/ultimaker2

which has the specs to the UM2.  However, they refused to provide a concise range of values for the power range supported by the port for the extruder motor on the main board.  They also told me not to try to change the printer to print 1.75mm filament as it might not work !!  Seriously?  When did the UM2 become a pretty machine not to be tampered with and admired for its inflexible design ??  Lets prove the ludites wrong at UM2 and hack this pretty machine to be the flexible printer we were promised.  

So I would like to document and test the changes needed to the firmware to support a second new extruder on the UM2. Any helpful comments would be appreciated.  Past experiences and time hole traps to avoid advice are always a plus.  Also, any information on the power specs the main board can handle as regards to the extruder motors would also be appreciated.  I will also be sharing a new extruder design that is superior to the current model.  No more slipping or grinding of the filaments just beautiful consistent extrusion.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Second extruder on Ultimaker

Somehow I can't paste a link on my phone... but have look at my summary om page 27 of the article "a different multi extrusion approach" in "modifications and hacks"

Somehow I can't paste a link on my phone... but have look at my summary om page 27 of the article "a different multi extrusion  approach" in "modifications and hacks"

Sweet! Looks like my weekend will be busy.

@insight01: The UM2 was not intended to be a tinkerer machine. It comes with a CE conformity declaration which is void if the printer is modified (this might not be important for you but for other people). Thats why the UMO is still available and will stay available (maybe only as UMO+ at some point).

What filament are you referring to? I have the impression that almost any filament also comes now in 2.85mm. The thicker one is anyway easier to produce.

• Like 1

Basically it's ok if you'r a hobbyist but check the rules in your country/company if used in a business.

when I bought mine I was not intending to tinker with the machine.... but that changed in the first couple of weeks I had it :)

I have also several projects to modify and inprove my UM2 starting on the basis of the standard machine.

I have the same problem to get technical datas and I have nothing to do with the CE mark.

The post "a different multi extrusion approach" that I have seen is very interesting, unfortunately, I did not manage to find it in this forum.

All skills are present here but it is very difficult to synthesize.

more than this forum, we would require a knowledge base and Ultimaker does not help us to develop its machine.

Posted (edited) · Second extruder on Ultimaker

I disagree, I feel Ultimaker is supporting us perfectly in hacking there machine.

f.e. here's the full documentation of the UM2, including step files ready to load into CAD;

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2

and here's the topic on magnetically changing heads, my summary on UM2 is on page 27;

http://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer

Edited by Guest

@seipia

The post "a different multi extrusion approach" that I have seen is very interesting, unfortunately, I did not manage to find it in this forum.

just tested "a different multi extrusion approach" in the search of this forum and the correct post is the 4th topic found... so I'm not sure what you did when searching ??

Thanks for your answers.

I must be very stupid but when I do it "a different multi extrusion approach" in the search windows, the result is not what you say...but no problem cause you give me the link : http://ultimaker.com/...ol-printhead-changer

Wonderful, It's probably the best way to have different heads without increase the weight.

For the documentation of UM2 I agree, I knew the site github.com and it' s a very complete documentation and I have already use it to modify some pieces. but only for mechanic.

In fact, I'm a beginner on this machine and I have a lot of question very simple for you :

How to drive the second feeder? (I already bought the motor steep) The electronic card has two outputs and connectors. Are they active ?

where can I get the electronic documentation ?

What gcode must be use ? in fact, where can I get the gcode documentation of the UM2 ?

Is there a second output for the regulation of temperature or have you do it outside of the UM2?

I promise I will read the whole topic, no doubt that some answers are already done

Again thank to reply to a novice.

If you're interested, my goal is making a head of extrusion for ceramic (it's my job 20 years ago for technical development and innovations)

I saw some achievements and projects but nothing fine for now and I think the UM2 is a good starting point.

Don't worry but the forum is not on top....for a new user ;-)

Ok, just ask if you can't find something, and please share your experiments with ceramics, love to see it...