Ultimaker ABS Extrusion Issues

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker ABS Extrusion Issues

My Ultimaker2 is not able to print with ABS - the material seems to extrude properly when the material is inserted, but it either fails completely during a job or only works for the first minute. I compiled a video to show the issue:

I have already tried the Atomic method [https://ultimaker.com/en/support/view/149-atomic-method] and other troubleshooting methods suggested on your Support pages [https://ultimaker.com/en/support/view/11703-extrusion-problems], and while I was able to execute these successfully, when I actually print a job, it fails.

Can anyone suggest how to print this?  I need the part I'm printing to be in ABS although PLA seems to work fine with my printer.

This is using the following material, by the way:

http://www.makershed.com/products/3mm-pla-1kg-spooled-filament

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker ABS Extrusion Issues

lol.  Okay a few things.

When it is priming the nozzle you should grab that so it doesn't get into the print and just when the head moves to the center to start printing, pull that away from the head so the strand to the nozzle gets very very thin.

The worst problem is that your plate is too far from the nozzle so the ABS isn't sticking - don't run leveling procedure - instead rotate the 3 thumb screws about 1/4 turn counter clockwise looking from below (maybe more but start with 1/4 turn).  When it starts printing look at the initial traces and if not flatened a bit then  unscrew another 1/8 turn each).

Make sure your nozzle is at leat 240C.  Or even 250 or 260C.  But 240C is hot enough to proceed.

Make sure the bed is at least 100C.  110C is better but you might not have the power to reach that without enclosing the machine.

You have too much glue - take a wet tissue and spread that glue around a bit.  When it dries it should be invisible.  Add about 1 tablespoon water, (soup spoon worth) and spread it around and remove some glue by throwing away the first tissue you use.  Just worry about the area you will be printing on for now.

Also make sure your fan never gets above 50% power. At 240C with any fan at all you won't get great layer to layer adhesion (the new layers won't melt the existing layers as they go down). It will be strong enough for some things but not as amazingly strong as ABS can sometimes be. So 250C would be better (and 30% fan) but then your white teflon part won't last as long.

I also recommend you stick with one material for hundreds of prints. Everytime you switch materials you will have headaches.

Edited by Guest