Gaps in the first layer

Posted · Gaps in the first layer

Hi!!

I use an Ultimaker Original+ and was doing fine until now. For some reason, the printer is not printing everywhere on the surface. But the most extrange of all is that the gaps appear always in the same places...

I´ve leveled the bed a million of times, with no results, slowed down the print speed, changed the printing temperature... nothing seems to work well.

On the attached picture you can see whats going on. I´ve printed PLA 210°C with a bed temperature of 60°C, and a print speed of 40mm/s[media=2885]

[/media]

Thank you all!

Blue tape + heated bed does not stick. You can use blue tape with cold bed or bed at 60 with or without glue. Better with glue ofc. I print pla without bluetape at 60C and sticks well. Important to clean the bed after each print if you touch the bed.

Did you clean the glass with window cleaner product? It does make a big difference.

Yes I did it...

Now i have another problem, that in the middle of the print, the machine doesn't extrude more filament. It could be stucked in the noozle...

Could be that i have under-extrusion problems?. It will explain why I have those gaps or sticking problems?.

Indeed it might. I thought it was just the first layer. Check this post. They talk about many thinks to check/do in that cases. https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/16428-printing-issue-under-extrusion?page=4#reply-110431

Indeed it might. I thought it was just the first layer. Check this post. They talk about many thinks to check/do in that cases. https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/16428-printing-issue-under-extrusion?page=4#reply-110431

Thank you very much!!

• Like 1

You might have an issue with too high a temperature on your first layer. This can cause the filament to bubble up and get dragged off by the head. Also, try printing your first layer much slower.

Lastly, and the most probable cause from what I can see in your photo (a higher res and closer=up shot would confirm this) your bed is too far away from the print head. Try reducing thei a little. I use a spark plug gauge, the 0.05mm thickness. Then while running the first few prints I adjust the bed manually.

Ideally, your traces on the bottom layer should be squashed down flat. No so thin that the material becomes translucent, but enough that you can quite clearly see it has been squashed. This will help your first layer sticking.