Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ahoeben

new Cura theme fixes

I had some critique on the graphic design of the new Cura interface (https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/16409-thoughts-about-the-new-cura?page=18#reply-112518), and decided to do something about it. Here's a work in progress:

fov_theme.thumb.png.e6e8099ef514622393a0285004dbec76.png

Current state of Cura on the left, my changes on the right.

On my WXGA screen, I can get a better overview of the print settings. I have also removed some angled corners (section headers, scrollbar). Finally I removed the Cura watermark, because I find it a bit obnoxious.

Overview of the changes: https://github.com/fieldOfView/Cura/pull/1/files

fov_theme.thumb.png.e6e8099ef514622393a0285004dbec76.png

• Like 6

That looks great, and a much better overview of the settings, a lot less scrolling.

it's something I really liked from the "old" Cura :)

And most screens have a lot of screen room on the side, maybe making it an option to have two rows of settings ?

Cura%20widescreen.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Allright, had a meeting with the rest of the team. We are going to make readability changes for the next version. We're looking at several different options and we've included your suggestions to the options.

And most screens have a lot of screen room on the side, maybe making it an option to have two rows of settings ?

This is one of the most promising options, but we won't make any promises about it until we've tested it.

One of the "interesting" things to figure out with a multicolumn layout is how it handles collapsing sections, and dynamically adding/removing options as they are enabled/disabled in the Machine Settings.

That looks great, and a much better overview of the settings, a lot less scrolling.

it's something I really liked from the "old" Cura :)

Cura%20widescreen.jpg

I could imagine the double rows to be on the left and right of the screen. F.e. on the left: machines / profiles / file browsing ... and on the right the detailed settings.. have a look at the photoshop lightroom gui for the idea...