Setting nozzle size in Cura 15.06

jeeboont

Posted · Setting nozzle size in Cura 15.06

I recently updated to Cura 15.06 on my Mac and at first impression, it is a lot more sluggish compared to the earlier.

I am a current user of the 3DSolex's The Olsson Block which allows for interchangeable nozzles.

I can't seem to find the nozzle setting under the latest Cura. How do I change nozzle size? I wish to change from 0.4mm to 0.8mm.

Thanks.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Easily changing the nozzle size in 15.06 isn't supported yet. You'd have to have a different machine profile (.json file: found in Cura_15.06.XX\resources\settings) for each nozzle size you'd want to use. So for example you'd have to have:

ultimaker2_0.4.json with the text "name": "Ultimaker2 Nozzle = 0.4",

"machine_nozzle_size": { "default": 0.4},

ultimaker2_0.8.json with the text "name": "Ultimaker2 Nozzle = 0.8",

"machine_nozzle_size": { "default": 0.8},

That sounds like a pain to me, but according to GitHub Nozzle Size will be a visible and editable field in a future release.

No need to wait. In top right corner next to machine name click drop down arrow and choose "configure printers", then under shell thickness check the box next to "wall line width" (leave the rest unchecked). Then in quality set wall line width to your nozzle size. That should be it I think. Although I don't know 100% that this is the only thing you have to do. I think in a newer release they just rename this parameter to nozzle size perhaps.

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Setting nozzle size in Cura 15.06

[edit: i did change the id and name in the json and then the machine shows up in the add printer list, still want to know where the added printer json file is [or is that referred to this json file?!]

Where is that list of json files on a mac...?!

I see a list in contents/resources/cura/resources/machines

but when I duplicate and rename a pirnter there, it doesn't show more printers...

I did add 2 other machines, but don't know where the json file is to edit the nozzle size

[interesting is that the wall tooltip refer to the nozzle size but that value is nowhere viewable....]

cheers / joris

Edited by Guest

That sounds like a pain to me, but according to GitHub Nozzle Size will be a visible and editable field in a future release.

This was an oversight from us. We saw nozzle size as a hardware setting (simmilar to size of the machine), which we thought would not change all that often. This is the main difference between machine settings and ¨normal¨ settings. Changing one of the machine settings results in a ¨new¨ machine, this is why you need to create a new machine definition.

This is changed in the new version (both due to request from you guys as the decision to start shipping with olson hotends).

it is a lot more sluggish compared to the earlier.

It is. We´ve spent the past months improving this. There are some drastic changes in the latest version that should resolve (most) of these issues.

• Like 1