Retraction at end of print job

keukpa

Posted · Retraction at end of print job

Hi All,

I'm having some issues with my UM2. The problem is with the printer doing a rather large retraction at the end of the print. I understand 'why' this happens, but is there a way to disable it as it's causing serious issues.

Basically a the end of the print the UM2 does a large retraction and pulls the filament a fair way back, as this cools and when I come to do the next print (say the following day) the printer can't get the filament to get back in the hot end and as such I need to remove it all and manually re-feed it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Keukpa

You may have to mush moisture in your filament, moisture makes it expand a lot and can cause these jams, also wait for the printer to fully cool before turning it off as the rear fan needs to cool the insulator down.

Posted (edited) · Retraction at end of print job

The retraction at the end of print should be undone at the start of the next print:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/blob/aa8589fae63b13e7349d74549dff261d6b3a3511/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_print.cpp#L151

However, I think the retraction of 20mm is too much. I have set my firmware to 12mm quite some time ago and had no problem with it; just the opposite, I printed over 1200 hours with the first (glass filled) teflon isolator and could have printed further.

Edited by Guest

Obviously this is an old post but maybe somebody can help me a bit.

I have the same problem every now and then because the retraction at the end of a print is too much. When I start a new print I first have to take out the bowden tube, cut the filament, put it back together and then move the filament towards the end of the nozzle. When i don't do it like this, the ptfe coulper wears out very rapidly and many many times it gives underextrusion and feedmotor going toctoctoc.

Where and how can I set the retraction at end of a print from 20 to say 4mm? In the firmware's hex file? Can't find the option in the UM2 settings either.