Query regarding Z stage stepper - UMO with HBK

Posted · Query regarding Z stage stepper - UMO with HBK

Hey guys,

I'm building a second printer in order that I can continue my development with the magnetic print head design foehnsturm came up with. Rather than buy a second ultimaker, i'm building one from chinese parts. It seems fitting as i'm living in Shanghai at the moment and have access to this stuff pretty cheap. So, i've got pretty much everthing I need, but not sure if I have ordered the right z stepper. These are the specs:

TB2uBRZaVXXXXbQXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!847373023.jpg

Now, I can't read chinese, but I can read numbers...and i'm hoping they will make sense to someone else. Is this the same stepper and lead screw used on the UMO HBKs?

When I compile my firmware, I assume I need to change the z step info to match (as the UMO uses i believe a different screw). What do I change?

Thanks for any info or help.

Posted (edited) · Query regarding Z stage stepper - UMO with HBK

It looks like. The correct type for the lead screw would be Tr8*8 and it's a double helix with 8mm diameter. The length of 300mm also seems to be there and a maximum current of 1.5A makes sense as the motor is driven with 1350mA on UM2s. No idea what the 2mm could mean. 42 is knowingly the answer to life, universe and everything. ;)

I'm missing the fact the motor has 200 steps per turn.

You have to adjust the z steps in Marlin, have a look at the UMO HBK firmware at Github.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

This is what I got by using an ocr and then sending it to google translate INGLÉS

Product letter palace, ProduCt |. Nf0rTnatiOn Name: T8 six eight six two screw stepper motor Screw: Li nephew 8mm, volume intrinsic distance 2mm, Find tooth was 4mm, long leather 3 mm reading Motors: 42 stepper motors, voltage l2 ~ 24V Current I.5A, stem | Multi ye have 5OCm Fan Tian: uI twenty maker23d playing with puppets cattle Xiang P machine

Original text ocr'd

产 品 信 .宫、 ProduCt|nf0rTnatiOn

名称: T8六8六2丝杆步进电机

丝杆: 立侄8mm, 量禀距2mm,

寻牙呈4mm, 长皮3阅mm

电机: 42步进电机, 电压l2~24V

电流I.5A, 茎|多岂已5OCm

范田: uI廿maker23d打芗P机配儡牛

The 50cm maybe it's how long it's the motor

I think 42 is the length of the motor body in mm, 50cm should be the length of the cable. The pitch is 2 and the thread has 4 starts, therefore the z stage will move 8mm per rotation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I set the z steps to 200/mm, and I have a very short robot, less than half the height! Is there any way of figuring out the steps/mm?

Posted (edited) · Query regarding Z stage stepper - UMO with HBK

Think the 42 number could be microsteps?

Edited by Guest

The motor has no microstep value. Microstepping is set in the hardware (e.g. jumpers of the stepper drivers) or in the firmware. Usual microstepping values for the ultimaker are 8 and 16.

If we assume 200 steps per mm of the motor and 8mm per rev of the lead screw, then the steps per mm value would be:

200 * 8 / 8 = 200 for 8 step microstepping - this is your current (and obviously to small) value

200 * 16 / 8 = 400 steps/mm for 16 step microstepping - this seems to be a reasonable value for your printer and the heigth of your prints should be doubled.

Think the 42 number could be microsteps?

Hi Erri,

Many thanks for the reply. Indeed I did change it to 400 and it seems to be giving me normal height robots now! Im confused as to why it is different to my UMO with HBK, so its most likely the stepper drivers having a different specification?

Thanks

Also out of interest, why would this only affect the z stage? I have gt2 conversion and set the steps/mm accordingly (80) and that was ok.

Hi,

I'm Chinese. So I can translate everything if you still interested in this one:

Product Information:

Name: T8*8*2 step motor with lead screw

lead screw: diameter 8mm, pitch 2mm, lead 4mm, length 300mm

motor: 42 step motor, Voltage 12~24V

Current: 1.5A, wire length 50cm

usage: ultimaker 2 3d printer accessory

I think this one is suitable for your project!