CPE experiences

iky

Posted · CPE experiences

Hi everybody!

For my next order I am thinking about purchasing CPE.

I want to know if anyone has some experience with CPE or maybe some tips for me.

Thank you in advance!

Posted · CPE experiences

I received a free spool of CPE when I ordered my UM2 and after printing with the PLA for awhile I tried to print the CPE filament. It prints at higher temperatures. Around 240-250 C seemed to work for me. It seems to warp similar to what I have read others experienced with ABS so a heated chamber may make it print better. I didn't have one and experience some warping, but I only did a few test prints. I didn't notice any unbearable odors with it printing like many have said ABS produces ( I haven't printed with ABS so I can't say for sure).

My spool also came with an extra PTFE coupler. Not sure if this was an added bonus or if they were hinting at it wearing the PTFE out fast.

Posted · CPE experiences

250C will wear out your PTFE much faster than normal temperatures. It will get soft and squeeze the filament and you will get underextrusion and then you will know to replace it.

Posted (edited) · CPE experiences

Con's:

You need to print CPE on higher temperatures just like ABS. (240/250)

Printing on higher temperatures will cause the PTFE to wear out faster and that is why we included one when you purchase a spool of CPE.

CPE has just like ABS the tendency to warp, a heated camber may help reduce this.

Pro's:

CPE is just as strong as ABS.

It does not have any dangerous fumes or strange odeur.

It has nice bright colors.

Edited by Guest

Posted · CPE experiences

Hi! :-)

I have a question about Vapor treating - CPE plastic?

ABS plastic needs acetone for cold vapor treatments and PLA needs chloroform? or similar?

What can I use/is best to use for the CPE plastic?

Cheers! :-)

Posted · CPE experiences

I printed a few CPE things to test.

It feels more tough than PLA. (Flexes a little bit more, not as rigid.) The surface finish is a little bit more matte looking than PLA but not quite as matte as ABS. It is slightly more translucent.

It prints well, I had no warping issues on the recommended settings. (glue stick, 250C, 65C bed) Glue is required, I had one print pop off before it finished without glue.