Cura file flagged by Webroot?

Gencab

Posted · Cura file flagged by Webroot?

Very strange . I just installed Cura_15.06.03 on my PC and Webroot (antivirus suite) flagged a specific file as a threat.

Malware Group: W32.Mogoogwi.Gen

File: cura_15.06.03\pyqt5.qtcore.pyd

I downloaded the file directly from Ultimakers site so i'm confident its safe. What makes me curious is Webroot is in most cases very good against false positives . So I wonder what could have tripped the flag.

Has anyone else run in to this situation with Cura of any version?

I sent Webroot a support ticket request last night outlining the details. Hopefully they can assist in how to whitelist a program or update their records so Cura wont be flagged.

Well, thanks for notifying us. It's insane that webroot flags this as a threat. pyqt5 is the framework that we use for the GUI stuff, which is a widely used package. There is no sane reason why it would give this error.

High time we sign our binary releases, isn't it? ;)

Reply from Webroot.

"Hello,

Thank you for submitting your report. We have examined the logs from your system and found that the detected items were the result of a false positive, and are not a threat. We have updated our security definitions to address this.

You may un-quarantine and restore the file that was quarantined by the Webroot SecureAnywhere software if you have not already done so. To restore the file:

1. Open on the cog icon next to PC Security.

2. Click the Quarantine tab.

3. Click the check box next to the filename, then click Restore.

Now that this change is in effect, we request that you run another scan of your computer (click "Scan My Computer" on the main overview window). If the same detection occurs, please let us know immediately.

Thank you,

Webroot Advanced Malware Removal Team "

I'm not sure if the updates definitions for everyone but Cura works now.

• Like 1

Yay! Nice work :)

• Like 1