Time Lapse video of print suggestions

LePaul

Posted · Time Lapse video of print suggestions

I'm curious what you guys are using...from camera, software and stand/mount to record your prints.

I was trying to use an old, HD Sony Bloggie...but it shuts itself off after 15 minutes of recording (plenty of space for recording, just won't stay on longer).

I'd like to record the prints and post the time-lapse videos online.

Thanks!

I have use these two things so far.

1. YawCam, computer, usb web cam, Avidemux - I have yawcam put the images in a folder and them make the time lapse with Avidemux

2.OctoPrint, Raspberry Pi, Raspberry Pi Camera Module

there's a few examples in this playlist of yawcam...I have not got around to uploading and octoprint vids.

• Like 1

Gopro and edit with gopro studio. I have one mount base stuck to the printer and there are heaps of other mounts you can print.

Has wide angle so can be close to the printer without a big mount sticking out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Time Lapse video of print suggestions

I know they introduced a new model earlier this year, so the older models (GoPro Hero) is down to under $200.

Now to find a mount to hold it in the UMO!

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Time Lapse video of print suggestions

Update about the Pi camera module. (And maybe other cameras) one issue I have not been able to solve to my satisfaction is that many of these web cams type hardware can not focus on close objects (like if you were to mount the camera inside the frame) and do not have good depth of field, so much of your print will be out of focus.

My dream set up would be camera inside the frame (and add LEDs to my UMO+ for nice lighting even when the basement lights are turned off) with a depth of field so the whole platform would in I focus, software would be making a time lapse and live streaming via web page. I think the octoprint on the Pi is the software that fits my dream set up, but finding the right camera is something I have not been able to do...or even the right lens to add to an off the shelf web cam or Pi cam.

Edited by Guest

Raspberry pi route is MUCH cheaper than gopro. It's also a more versatile solution (programmable) and you get a fully functional computer.

On the other hand the gopro comes with a water proof box and already knows how to snowboard.

• Like 2