Prints coming out stretched

worthy7777

Posted · Prints coming out stretched

I have just finished building my ultimaker original and the first print i did has came out taller or stretched than the model shows in the cura. Can anybody possibly tell my why this is.

I'm printing in the silver PLA ultimaker provides and Temps at 210 c.

WIN_20150908_10_07_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.6541da273b0c40ff8af6b367fa9d3c01.jpg

WIN_20150908_10_07_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.6541da273b0c40ff8af6b367fa9d3c01.jpg

Posted (edited) · Prints coming out stretched

Have you checked the jumpers on the Mainboard? If you don't know what I'm talking about: Take a picture of the Mainboard (without the fan) and upload it here.

If yes, on the UltiController go to: Control -> Motion -> Z-Steps/mm

Whats the value and do you have a heated bed?

Does this also happen when you print the file that is shipped with cura?

(you find it in 'C:\Program Files\Cura_x.x.x\resources\example\')

Edited by Guest

Yeah i have checked the jumpers, I don't have a heated bead and the value of the z steps is +0533.3 and Yeah it happens with that file too.

Here is an image of the mainboard just to be sure.

5a3310f00a96e_IMG_03341.thumb.JPG.0ad101cc37c3cb7a1ad2ec6cec1042d3.JPG

5a3310f00a96e_IMG_03341.thumb.JPG.0ad101cc37c3cb7a1ad2ec6cec1042d3.JPG

Edited by Guest

Hum... gimme a second to check that (i have others installed).

EDIT: Looks right, Please ensure that the jumpers are working (especially MS1, if there is no connection between the MS1 pins, you run in 'quarter step'-mode - which would explane your mutated ultirobot :D). Change the jumpers from the Z-Motor with two of the X/Y oder extruder to ensure it is not a jumper problem.

It's also possible that your stepper driver is broken, try to change the divers (X/Y <-> Z).

Your z-steps/mm are right.

Lets see if the problem is related to CURA...

Upload the following file to an SDCARD and print it with the Ulticontroller:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-10896764/worthy.gcode.html

Still streched?

- Auto home the hot end (ulticontroller -> prepare)

- move the z-axis 10mm downwards (prepare -> move axis)

- measure the distance and post it here.

P.S.: Where is the other heatsink? XD

Edited by Guest

The ms3 jumper isn't on the z axis, is that right or am i missing it?

Plus it will not let me download that file?

Edited by Guest

that's absolutely right! just skip that point so far, i upload it if you tried the rest ;)

how do i change the z driver, god i'm such a noob

I have changed the jumpers and now my printer head is not going anywhere near the bed and the print should be in the middle and its trying to print it way off to the right????

Edited by Guest

I think it could be the jumpers as the x axis is now moving really quick and not like the y axis??

we all where noobs at the beginning ;)

sounds good!

you have installed the jumpers as they where before, right? (as they are on the Y axis)

it's very uncommon that an jumper doesn't work - but well...

try to print the little robot again now. is it the right height now?

if yes, go to the elctronic dump (or in your garage or wherever) and replace the jumpers by two others.

if not, let us know ;)

Edited by Guest

Yeah i installed the jumpers as they were before and no the print is still taller than before, i have measured the print and it is double the size it should be, the little robot should be around 35mm and the print is coming out the right diameter the right width just double the hight it should be?

so with the switched jumpers, it comes out in the right width? both, x AND y direction?

Therefore it's not the jumper? (I'm confused because you said it's "moving faster" and "not anywhere near the bed" at first)

If it's not the jumper, carefully pull out the Y or X driver (the little boards with the black heatsinks) and change them with the Z driver. You just have to pull them out, there is no "trick" :D

and... by the way:

you dont have to print the robot all the time!

you just need a pocket rule and do the following:

• Auto home (ulticontroller -> prepare)
    • move the z-axis 10mm downwards (prepare -> move axis -> 1mm -> z)
    • measure how much it moved (10mm/20mm)

P.S.: Do you have a multimeter?

Edited by Guest

No when i first switched the jumpers the X axis changed the way it moved. It started to move really jumpy so I try to print the robot and when it came to print the X axis was way off centre and the bed was about 5 mm under the print head. So i changed the jumpers back to how they were and it printed fine again just still stretch.

Okay i will give the driver ago, I will change the Y driver with the Z and see what happens.

Haha I have tried other things but every time I get the same result.

EDIT:I have changed the drivers over and followed them steps again to see if the problem was solved and no, when i move the bed down 10 mm it moves by 20 mm.

I have followed what you said by moving the Z axis by 10 mm and it has moved 20 mm, and no I don't have a multimeter.

Edited by Guest

nonononono stay away from all your drivers and electronics!

Check what printer you have selected in Cura while making the gcode.

I had a print like this too, if I recall correctly it was printed on an Ultimaker Original while using the Ultimaker 2 settings.

So it's not the driver!

Okay i still think it may be a Jumper, but I guess you don't have any replacement - right?

If you have one (from an old Motherboard, CD/DVD drive,...): Fine!

If not: There is one jumper on the board which is not necessary if you print via USB, i marked it as 1 in the following picture:

800px-Circuit_complete.thumb.jpg.c70b9c60073a521721dcd7649c98924c.jpg

Now do the following (change the jumpers from the z-axis one by one):

1. remove the jumper I marked as 1
    2. remove the jumper MS1 on the z-axis driver
    3. replace it by the jumper marked as 1
    4. move the z-axis 10mm and measure

if it still moves 20mm instead of 10mm, try the same as above with MS2 instead of MS1

(use the jumper marked as 1 for MS12 now and the jumper that was at MS1 originally for MS1). please ensure MS3 is NOT installed and MS1/MS2 ARE.

EDIT:

@SandervG: this would not explain why the axis moves 20mm when you try to move 10mm using the ulticontroller, am I right?

800px-Circuit_complete.thumb.jpg.c70b9c60073a521721dcd7649c98924c.jpg

Edited by Guest

No it's not the driver. Also my cura settings is set to the umo so it can't be that either. I have just done what you said and changed the MS1 jumper on the Z axis to the one you have labelled and moved the Z axis by 10 mm and now it has moved by 10 mm, so it must have been the jumper. That jumper is now where were you labelled it so what does this mean, can i only print by usb until i go and get a new jumper to replace it? Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Also where would I find other jumpers, what other devices would have them on?

Edited by Guest

@worthy7777:

Nice! Never saw a broken jumper before ;D

Just throw it away (the broken jumper) - as said, you don't need one at this place to print via USB, but if you ever want to print without the USB cable plugged in (e.g. from SDCARD) you need a new jumper, so better order one before that's the case ;D

If you are interested:

If the Jumper is in, the underlying Arduino MEGA 2560 board is supplied with 12V (regulated from 19V from the power supply). The Arduino MEGA board is something like "the heart" of the electronics. That means: If you remove the Jumper it gets no more power. But it can be also powered by the USB cable, so everything is fine as long as you don't want to print without an USB cable plugged in.

No problem, I'm glad I could help :)

EDIT: Just take a look at the recycling depot, there is for sure an electronics container where you find an old PC. Look at its Mainboard and on the backside of it's DC/DVD drives. Or you just eMail the Ultimaker support :D

Edited by Guest

Yeah okay I will have to order a new one as I do plan to print via SD card. Yeah I will just leave it and order a new jumper. Thank you so much for your help!

• Like 1

That's odd. Was this the first print you made?

Have you tried other gcodes? I could send you a gcode too, so you can test whether the problem truly lies in the electronics or in the gcode.

( I would have preferred to do this before you removed the jumper, just to rule out other causes).

( I would have preferred to do this before you removed the jumper, just to rule out other causes).

How should it be the GCODE if he doesn't use GCODE (as a file via CURA)? It (also) happens if he moves the axis via the UltiController, that's the way we excluded a software reason (software on the PC at least) ;D

Edited by Guest

@SandervG No I did try other things and nothing worked but no worries, I changed the jumpers and now things are working fine. Thanks for your help anyway.

• Like 1

I probably missed that part where it also moved twice the distance from using the ulticontroller.

Indeed, if it also moves twice the distance it is not gcode and probably electronics.

.. carry on ;)

I thought assembled printers were tested....did a robot test print and was included in the packaging? Or was that for the Ultimaker Originals that were bought assembled? (I thought I recall some videos of people unboxing their new printer and a test print was inside?)

It seems like something like this issue would have been caught prior to shipping?