Netfabb disconnects from Ultimaker

baphi

Posted · Netfabb disconnects from Ultimaker

I've just recently build an ultimaker and installed both RepG24 and NetFabb4.8.

So far I've managed to print one thin walled product (the 0.5mm thin wall file) with RepG.

With only adjusting the flow rate from 50 to 60 I tried another print, but the RepG started to print a completely different file. This happened many times!

:shock:

Then I decided to install the purchased NetFabb software and give it a go. Installation was without any problems, connecting to the Ultimaker as well. After opening a STL-file NetFabb gave a good preview.

I then decided to let NetFabb calculate the toolpath which went fine.

At last I preheated the Ultimaker and when it reached the correct temp (185) I hit the print button. The machine responded with some fans coming on, NetFabb responded with a progress indicator (showing "in progress (0.01%)").

Then after a minute, NetFabb disconnets from the Ultimaker. I've tried reconnecting and hit print again, but without result.

The USB control works fine, though. I can move the extruder horizontally and the platform moves too.

Some spec's:

- Ultimaker firmware (acc to RepG 5D)

- Device status in Netfabb: Ultimaker Connector v1.01

- Machine: Ultimaker

- Setup ultimaker specific: COM4 serial port, 57600 Baud serial port speed

- NetFabb Studio Basic for RepRap 4.8

Please advice me how to solve this!

I don't own netfabb, but from what I understood from other posts is that the netfabb printing to the ultimaker just isn't stable yet. You're better off generating the GCode with Netfabb and print with RegG, Printrun or SendG.

It's a disappointment indeed although it does not influence the quality of the print. RepG is used just for sending the code in which it has even more functionality than Netfabb.

The Netfabb gcode is generated quicker and with the awesome standard profiles result in awesome print quality out of the box.

With my newly assembled Ultimaker, and Netfabb software I have exactly the same experience.

The advice given, also in this forum, is to generate the G-code with Netfabb, and send it to the Ultimaker with ReplicatorG.

If I perform these steps I see the G-code being created and imported in ReplicatorG, however, when making the object on the Ultimaker it firsts pauses an estimated 10 seconds, then directs the print head to the maximum Y position and stops there.

Does anyone have a clue how to execute this process properly?

I'm having the exact same issue here. Printing in RepG is ok, but I want the option of building supports which is only possible within NetFabb.

It's really frustrating to see the correct preview in NetFabb, but when the Print-button is hit, the Extruderhead-fan starts spinning and then nothing happens. I tried reconnecting, but the Ultimaker keeps disconnecting...

I've also loaded the netfabb-gcode file in RepG, but RepG does exactly the same. The temperature of the extruder was correct (245 degrees). Material used: PLA. Material style: PLA-Ultimaker.

Please help?

Baphi, HK,

the pause in the beginning is caused by the M109 command in the gcode: "set temp and wait for temp to reach setpoint", which is important, since you don't want to start printing if your UM hasn't the right temp yet. if you already preheated to the proper temp via the control panel in repg (which should be closed during printing), then keep in mind that different FW versions have different temp wait settings, especially the latest marlin beta).

Also, 245C is a bit too hot for PLA, you will probably get a lot of drooling and stringing from that. the official melting point of PLA is around 210deg, and depending on your UM (UM temp measurements seem vary between machines), the proper temp could be around 225 deg, which seems to be the favorite temp for many here in the forum. YMMV. also, don't let your UM idle longer than a minute with the heater running.

I'm having the exact same issue here. Printing in RepG is ok, but I want the option of building supports which is only possible within NetFabb.
    Skeinforge also has a support feature (It's hidden under the raft settings)

Hi I have just set up my ultimaker with Netfabb (4.8) and have the same issue. I also tried to print a sample object with the same results (ultimaker disconnects after around 50 seconds). I've tried to generate G code and these are the first few lines

I don't know much about G code but if M109 is empty wouldn't that possibly cause the delay (would printer need to wait until temperature BLANK is to be reached)?

M106

M109

G21

G90

G28

G92 X0.0000 Y0.0000 Z0.0000 E0.0000

G1 E0.0000

M107

G1 X0.0000 Y200.0000 Z0.0000 F10800.0000

G1 X0.0000 Y200.0000 Z4.8000 F1200.0000

G1 X0.0000 Y200.0000 Z5.0000 F1200.0000

M109 S185.0000

G1 X82.5800 Y1

Hi I have just set up my ultimaker with Netfabb (4.8) and have the same issue. I also tried to print a sample object with the same results (ultimaker disconnects after around 50 seconds). I've tried to generate G code and these are the first few lines

I don't know much about G code but if M109 is empty wouldn't that possibly cause the delay (would printer need to wait until temperature BLANK is to be reached)?

M106

M109

Not sure why that M109 is there or or how it effects it but you see how it prints from RepG with it in or you could delete that line and then print from RepG

M106

M109

G21

G90

G28

G92 X0.0000 Y0.0000 Z0.0000 E0.0000

G1 E0.0000

M107

G1 X0.0000 Y200.0000 Z0.0000 F10800.0000

G1 X0.0000 Y200.0000 Z4.8000 F1200.0000

G1 X0.0000 Y200.0000 Z5.0000 F1200.0000

M109 S185.0000

G1 X82.5800 Y1

there are a couple of things going wrong. if you look down in the gcode, there is another M109 S185 which actually sets the temp to 185 (which may be way too cold, but you have to try yourself)... so both M109 will case the printer to pause. a M109 without parameter simply resets the heater.

Also, the M107 (fan off) is troublesome at this point, it should be all the way at the end of the gcode, and only the M106 (fan on) should be at the beginning.

you are also missing a M92 E14 at the beginning, which calibrates the UM towards the netfabb engine (standard for all other slicers is M92 E9xx.xx aka steps per mm filament).

all of those things taken together are the reason why to generate the gcode from netfabb, then open it in repg (or similar), edit it, check for sanity&settings, and then preheat via control panel, close control panel, and send the gcode to the UM. since you can't edit the gcode in netfabb before printing, it is a bit like asking for trouble... of course in the long run, you can have all the proper gcodes in the beginning/end of the netfabb code via the truly deeply hidden UM prefs inside netfabb.

Thanks for all the replies. I am currently trying out some of the options and will report back with the findings (hopefully getting a succesfull print).