Repeated Print Failures (Underextrusion)

brentwerder

Posted · Repeated Print Failures (Underextrusion)

Hey everyone,

I recently put up a post asking you guys what filament suppliers you guys like to use, and the support on that topic was amazing. I ordered some ColorFabb because of it, and now I'm waiting for it to get here.

Sadly, though, the last six prints I've tried have failed - and, for the record, each print was a 180mm x 180mm x 15mm tall model of the first step on the moon. Each one has had the same problem: Underextrusion. Which, I have to say, really, really sucks.

I've tried the Atomic method for clog removal (which helped a bit), turning up the heat, slowing the overall speed, and increasing the flow. Each one had helped a bit, and the last print I did (which failed ~20 minutes ago) started underextruding at 1 mm up. That print was the best out of all of them: I had increased the heat to 220C, and the first, second, and third layer printed fantastically. After that, the machine sped up, and it immediately stopped extruding. I think it might have been due to grinding, but I haven't checked that yet. That has been the case in the last five prints, so I'm sure this isn't any different.

Here's a list of specs so you guys can figure out what horrible mistake I've made quicker:

Ultimaker Original +

Bed Temp: 70C

Head Temp: 220C

Print speed: 80mm/s

Flow: 100%

Layer Height: 0.15mm

Acceleration: 2000

Filament Used: MakerGeeks - Maker Filament PLA

Thank you all for reading, and for your help with all these problems I've been having recently.

-Brent

Try upping your temp to 235deg.

220 could be a bit cold for 80mm/s, the faster you print and the higher layer height the hotter nozzle temp you need.

You can drop the bed temp to 60 though as 70 is quite high.

Okay, so the print is going okay, but there are a few problems going on that I can see - the tiny overhangs are looking terrible (because, I assume, of the high temperature), and the lettering on the side isn't looking too hot either. I had to manually change the acceleration value on the Ulticontroller (does anyone know how to change the accel. in Cura? I have yet to find a setting in there), and lowered the speed to 90. Occasionally there's a thump coming from the machine, which I've yet to figure out - could it be the travel? The travel speed is at 250mm/s, which is amazing for overhangs. There might be some loose screws that are causing that - I'll go ahead and retighten everything later. Any other suggestions for getting some better print quality?

you cant expect really good prints at that speed. if you want things to look really good you will need to print at 30 - 40mm/s, this will also mean you can print cooler and get really nice overhangs.

Acceleration cant be changed in cura.

Travel speed wont improve overhangs but it helps improve stringing.

Do you have some pictures of your print? It would help us determine what can improve your print, which usually works better than trying to interpret a description.

Overhangs can also be improved by cooling. Do you have the metal fanshroud or the foldable one?

You say you reduced speed to 90, but from your specs up I read it was only 80mm/s?

The thumb could be a rod hitting a rod end cap. Not really a big deal, there are hacks available to prevent this.

Hello again everyone,

Thanks for the responses! I was able to get some pretty good quality with the Maker filament, but shortly after, I recieved my roll of ColorFabb which is printing right now with pretty good quality. Not fantastic - just pretty good.

To answer your questions, Sander, I have the metal fan shroud that came with the UMO+. It was running at 100% when the overhangs started drooping. Probably because I had the temperature ramped up so high. Also, I printed the second one at .15mm @100mm/s, and reduced it to 90mm/s during the print, which helped a lot. I'm sure I could have gotten much better results with it at, say, 50mm/s, but I had to turn in that print as a school project. Sidenote: my teacher thought it was the coolest book project she'd ever seen, and gave me an A+ on it :D

Right now, I'm printing the T-Rex Shower Head (thing:308335 if you're interested - hilarious idea) in ColorFabb. Here are some of the specs on it:

Material: Black ColorFabb PLA/PHA

Head Temp.: 215 (tried 210 but got a lot of underextrusion)

Layer Height: 0.2mm

Shell Thickness: 2.0mm

Speed: 40mm/s

Fill Density: 20%

Support: No

Bed Adhesion: Brim (20 lines)

I'd like to see pictures of these prints to better evaluate what looks to be going wrong.

I have been printing with ColurFabb Black PLA/PHA and getting very good results. I have a UMO, not the + you have :)

I start my print at 220 and then bring it down to 210 once I have the brim printed/flowing good. I need print it down to 200 and find that 35-40 mm/sec yields very good results.