New Cura 15.04.2 won't import from Fusion 360

Posted · New Cura 15.04.2 won't import from Fusion 360

Hi Guys/Girls

May sound like a newb but i don't care this is infuriating me, I recently had some catastrophic problems with an apparent out dated version of cura (wouldn't load models from fusion any more, kept shutting itself down) so to try and solve this i uninstalled cura (can't remember version number) downloaded the new version stated in the title. Now i can't export from Fusion 360 to cura, When before it was so easy just save as STL and cura would open itself. Help please this is really slowing down progress.

Cheers in advance

It's too bad you uninstalled the older version of Cura. Unlike most software with different versions, Cura installs as though it is a completely different app for each version so I have about 8 versions installed and can easily run whichever version I want. Although I usually only run a recent version.

So are you saying that when you open the STL file generated from fusion, Cura crashes? Or hangs up? Make sure all copies of Cura are closed and that there is no hung up version of Cura somewhere (on windows you need task manager to determine this). Then start it fresh and try loading a very very simple STL from tingiverse - perhaps a cube?

Then clear platform and try loading your fusion STL file. Perhaps you have too many triangles? There is a limit - not sure if the limit is 2 million polygons, 200 million polygons, or what. But at some point cura runs out of it's limited memory so that is my guess as to the problem. If that's the problem you might decide to decimate the number of polygons using meshlab (try googling how to do that). I have found that 1 million polygons can describe pretty much anything you might print in the volume of the UM to the resolution of the UM.

Sorry let me simplify this a bit, I want to export directly from Fusion to Cura like i have been able to do very easily in the past versions of Cura.

The reason i uninstalled the older versions was because the settings were some how transferring between the two older versions of Cura and thought they might some how interfere with the new version once downloaded.

I have figured out how to limp along with saving STL file to my computer from Fusion and then opening them with Cura but this slows down my work a lot and would really prefer not to continue like this for to long.

Cheers for the help love the new Cura too.

I'll check when i'm home, i also model with Fusion 360 but i usually save to stl then open in Cura. It might be related to the default program that opens STL on your pc?

What happens when you double click an STL in the windows explorer?

The guys from fusion never got back to us with regards to what they need to get this to work. They added this feature without telling us, and now they don't respond.

So yeah, sorry, this is broken, but I have no idea why.

I'll check when i'm home, i also model with Fusion 360 but i usually save to stl then open in Cura. It might be related to the default program that opens STL on your pc?

What happens when you double click an STL in the windows explorer?

Hi, nothing happens when i try to open them from windows, when i try to make Cura the default program it adds a program called pythonw and still doesn't open.

Hi- Same problem. Fusion 360 does not recognize the latest version of Cura. I've been at this for hours, and about to box up my Ultimaker and send it back as having defective software. What version of Cura will work with the latest Fusion, and how can I delete all the old/incorrect version off this Mac?

doug