Rear shaft sticking out of UM2 case.

alecb415

Posted · Rear shaft sticking out of UM2 case.

Received an Ultimaker 2 a couple of days ago and its printing very well, but I noticed that the rear shaft that drives the x axis is poking out of the left side of the printer a good 5mm. I noticed there is no bushing on this side between the pulleys and the bearing like the others. I looked up the build instructions and it seems that maybe there isn't supposed to be one? How should I adjust this? do I need to reset the pulleys and then tighten them down? also, and this is not related, the y axis rear belt is visably loose on the bottom, tops looks fine, should I worry about that? Thank you.

I think a pulley must be loose.

They should hold it in place, can you push it back and tighten the pulleys?

If the slack is bad it could affect your print, but there is some room for play.

Usually this happens when you pick up the Ultimaker and (accidentally) grab the belt instead of the frame. This can also be fixed by loosening the pulley's first, allow the tension to equally divide over top and bottom (maybe you need to help it a little bit), and then tighten the pulleys again.

Let me know how it goes :)

Great, thanks. It probably happened because we are in Thailand and it came here by way of Singapore, so thats a lot of travel.

when I tighten the pulleys should the right side, with the nylon spacer be snug against the bearing or should there be some play there?

just to be clear, these are two separate things, loose y axis belt, then the x axis rod loose.

ill give it a try and see what happens.

when I tighten the pulleys should the right side, with the nylon spacer be snug against the bearing or should there be some play there?

just to be clear, these are two separate things, loose y axis belt, then the x axis rod loose.

ill give it a try and see what happens.

All pulleys should be tight against the wall of the printer.

There's a spring inside the sliding blocks so if you loosen one pulley the pressure between the top and bottom part of the belt should equalize. Sander said you should loosen both pulleys but one should be enough really.