What sort of data do you log?

drofnas

Posted (edited) · What sort of data do you log?

Now that I finally got my Olsson Block installed, I thought I should actually start keeping a log of all my prints, settings used for materials, etc. I was curious what sort of data you are logging.

Here's a quick overview of what I started logging this week, not sure if it's OCD enough, but I think it'll help me reproduce prints in the future.

Material Tab

• Material: Brand - Filament Name
  • Print Temp
  • Bed Temp
  • Layer Height
  • Shell Thickness
  • Fan Speed
  • Flow Rate
  • Print Speed
  • Travel Speed
  • Infill Speed
  • Printer Profile: The profile I selected on the printer (PLA, ABS, Custom1, etc)
  • Notes: Random notes I may have for said material, nozzle used, etc.

Print Log

• Date
  • Model: Name of the model I'm printing
  • Material: Brand - Filament Name
  • Settings: Any settings I tweaked just for this model
  • File: Name of the GCode file
  • Notes: Random notes, how long it took (based on cura), etc

Google Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c1Ys8i1aXXcb0GVBTfrbP8jMG-lQW83lahbFYQyP6oU/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Guest

Posted · What sort of data do you log?

Great idea but also a lot of work. :D

I think I might start doing this too, I got so many different filaments and nozzle sizes that it will be hard in the future to know which part requires which setting. :)

Do you keep your logs in a Google spreadsheet or how do you organise it?

I figure since most of my prints take hours anyways, I might as well spend a few minutes writing down what I did for that print ;)

Yup, I went with Google Spreadsheets for this, here's a screen cap of the Materials page that I have all my filaments listed on. I of course don't have any real data yet as I just started to do this, and I cleared the single line of filament settings I used on my original block, as I only care about my current Olsson Block setup.

start-of-ocd-printer-logs.png?dl=0&raw=1

You will also notice that I made a little section at the top for the Quick Print profiles in Cura. This way I can just make a note that I used Normal (N) and here is the extra tweaks I made to those settings (if any). Still need to go through and get all the other Quick Print settings, but gotta start somewhere.

• Like 1

Ok, just added in the settings that Cura 15.04.2 has for the Fast, Normal, High Quality, and Ultimate settings to that spreadsheet. Plus added in another column for Shell Thickness.

Nice template for info logging thanks for sharing.

My currently process for general printing is just log info that will help me track machine and filament use (incase I decide to sell items this helps me price them, and keep maintenace records for the machine):

• Print job name
    • Number objects in print run (for mulitple item print jobs)
    • Filament color
    • Meters fo filament used (according to CURA)
    • Gram of filament used (according to CURA)
    • Time of job (according to CURA)
    • Misc notes.

I figure I can get specific printer settings from the gcode files if I need to go back to that job later.

I use a google sheet with a form page to log the info into my sheet.

If I am in the midst of trouble shooting I would keep track of specific settings on paper and number the calibaration prints.

I like this google form method since i can bookmark it on my computer and phone and enter the info from either one. I have a sperate page for each printer.

5a33135f1596a_printerlogformscreenshot.thumb.png.08fb37dc385a5dd10edb4fff3093d806.png

5a33135f1596a_printerlogformscreenshot.thumb.png.08fb37dc385a5dd10edb4fff3093d806.png

Edited by Guest

I use a google sheet with a form page to log the info into my sheet.

That's a great idea, I need to set that up for the spreadsheet I use as well. Since most of the stuff I make, I don't sell, I figured this was a good place to start with logging.

But I did make another spreadsheet where I added a bunch of details for some items I just created that I was thinking of selling. This is info overload, just because I was running the numbers, based on time, how much I wanna charge, material cost, etc.

• SKU

• Product Name

• Parts - List of STL parts to make this item. Since my first project uses shared parts between them (threaded pieces) and are glued up as needed.

• Weight (50%) - Grams from Cura, 50% Infill

• Weight (100%)

• Time (50%) - Time from Cura, 50% Infill

• Time (100%)

• PLA Cost (50%) - Cost of PLA based on current market price, 50% Infill

• PLA Cost (100%)

• XT Cost (50%) - Cost of XT based on current market price, 50% Infill

• XT Cost (100%)

• Standard Bundle - Since some items will be sold in bundles of 2, 4, etc

• Bundled PLA Cost (50%) - Same as above, but based on Bundle Size.

• Bundled PLA Cost (100%)

• Bundled XT Cost (50%)

• Bundled XT Cost (100%)

• MSRP

• Gross Profit - What I would make off of the item, minus material cost.

• Gross Per Minute - Just to see how much money I make based on printing time

I also highlighted the configuration I would sell an item in. Such as 100% Infill with XT for a wall mount, but only 50% Infill PLA for something lighter duty. These recommended configurations are what I based that Gross and Gross Per Minute on.

Edited by Guest

I did a lot of hand notes the first months and lately. But for now the best way to manage prints for me it's by saving the profile and objects with s3d. I write the print profile with the kind of material/cost/etc all in a file. I have general profiles, specific files profiles and general material profiles. For me this works great since each job needs tunning to get the best posible quality at maximum speed.

Edited by Guest

what I would really like is for Octoprint to automatically log this info to the google sheet (locally if that's easier) everytime a print job is run. Even if I just started the job from the ulticontroller I would want it to log the info I select.