Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
rotorhead

Am I the only one non-symmetrical fan duct?

I've been doing some mods to my UM2 recently (the low friction spool holder, the Olsson block and a new filament feeder) and so have spent quite a lot of time getting to know my printer and also looking around the forum in depth and I have noticed that my fan duct seems to look different to every other one I have found online. The left duct is bent further away. I'll try and attach a photo.

Is this as uncommon as it seems from looking around the web...and more importantly, is it a problem? I got the printer new in May 2015.

The second part to my question may render the first part unnecessary but I was wondering what the best way was to shift the airflow to suit the use of the Olsson block as I have already noticed that the cooling is not as good now I have the Olsson block on (much less tidy Ulti-bot!). I have found a couple of custom shrouds on YM like https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-olsson-block-fan-mountand THIS and also a simple extension HERE.

thanks

5a3313eecd314_20151109_153800(Custom).thumb.jpg.1f74c7181b9501f57d19cda073505616.jpg

5a3313eecd314_20151109_153800(Custom).thumb.jpg.1f74c7181b9501f57d19cda073505616.jpg

Some people do have bent ones as they can bend easily, Mine looked like yours once after a print got knocked off and bent it.

But as Robert says, Just bend it back.

As for air flow. There are quite a few printable ones that work a lot better then the standard one. You just have to find one the you think will work the best ;)

If you want to stick with the metal one though the simple extension bracket is a good way to go.

Thank you both, and I wonder which one you would recommend Labern ;-)

It was bent like that from new and I assumed that was by design since the nozzle is offset it seemed sensible that the shrouds would be different also. Having said that, when I took delivery of the printer, one of the guide rails was not clipped into the black runners so it had obviously had a knock at some point along the way. Anyway, after a little under 1.5 seconds of work, it is now just the same as everyone else's!

And the next job will be print a new shroud. Thanks again.

• Like 1