Am I the only one non-symmetrical fan duct?

rotorhead

Posted · Am I the only one non-symmetrical fan duct?

I've been doing some mods to my UM2 recently (the low friction spool holder, the Olsson block and a new filament feeder) and so have spent quite a lot of time getting to know my printer and also looking around the forum in depth and I have noticed that my fan duct seems to look different to every other one I have found online. The left duct is bent further away. I'll try and attach a photo.

Is this as uncommon as it seems from looking around the web...and more importantly, is it a problem? I got the printer new in May 2015.

The second part to my question may render the first part unnecessary but I was wondering what the best way was to shift the airflow to suit the use of the Olsson block as I have already noticed that the cooling is not as good now I have the Olsson block on (much less tidy Ulti-bot!). I have found a couple of custom shrouds on YM like https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-olsson-block-fan-mountand THIS and also a simple extension HERE.

thanks

5a3313eecd314_20151109_153800(Custom).thumb.jpg.1f74c7181b9501f57d19cda073505616.jpg

5a3313eecd314_20151109_153800(Custom).thumb.jpg.1f74c7181b9501f57d19cda073505616.jpg

The only problem I can imagine is if it's hitting the left side of the printer and maybe the airflow isn't ideal. Either way, it takes roughly 1.5 seconds to fix. The metal is very soft so you can very easily bend it down.

Some people do have bent ones as they can bend easily, Mine looked like yours once after a print got knocked off and bent it.

But as Robert says, Just bend it back.

As for air flow. There are quite a few printable ones that work a lot better then the standard one. You just have to find one the you think will work the best ;)

If you want to stick with the metal one though the simple extension bracket is a good way to go.

Thank you both, and I wonder which one you would recommend Labern ;-)

It was bent like that from new and I assumed that was by design since the nozzle is offset it seemed sensible that the shrouds would be different also. Having said that, when I took delivery of the printer, one of the guide rails was not clipped into the black runners so it had obviously had a knock at some point along the way. Anyway, after a little under 1.5 seconds of work, it is now just the same as everyone else's!

And the next job will be print a new shroud. Thanks again.

• Like 1