UM2 Grunt noise with each z layer step

rlolley

Posted · UM2 Grunt noise with each z layer step

Just got my new Ultimaker 2 and the test print of the robot after unboxing was very impressive. However it makes a loud grunt at every z layer step. I saw the post from iakovos (Dec. 2013 - "z axis noise at slow movement") and the video on his initial post is the exact noise that I am hearing.

There was much conversation about z settings, main board jumpers etc. but the OP did not say if the issue was ever solved or if it was even an issue at all. Another member said that his did the same thing.

Whatever it is, it definitely did not affect the print as it was very smooth. I just need to know if this is an issue or not before I start printing some of my designs and damage my wonderful new toy.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Just gone back to the iakovs post. That sounds exactly like my machine, the Z step is a bit noisy but is working perfectly OK.

Don't think it is an issue at all, suspect the noise comes from the sudden start/stop action and vibration of the bed.

There are several real time videos on youtube - good source to compare the noise... :)

Here is

Observe the sound on layer change - if yours sounds similar - all is in best order.

Yes - you can change the microsteps for the z-axis to 16 (instead of 8) with a jumper - and you can modify the max. speed for the z-axis. The sound changes a bit (probably) - but the difference is not huge.

Don't worry and have fun with your printer!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that's the exact sound mine is making, almost like when you key a two way radio, I'm glad to hear that it is somewhat normal and shouldn't create damage to the machine. How long have you guys been using it that way? Hopefully a long time, as that would put me even more at ease.

I can tell already that I made the right purchase, this type of user knowledge is great. I looked at 3d printers for 2 years before finally pulling the trigger.

Beers are on me!

Thanks,

Robert