Help! First print with Colorfabb's Woodfill

tasopoulos

Posted (edited) · Help! First print with Colorfabb's Woodfill

Had my first attempt with Colorfabb's Woodfill today, and it didn't turn out exactly as I hoped for:

20151127_185132218_iOS.thumb.jpg.45f8ffee8c6abefddac771a0e890dc90.jpg

As you can see, there was A LOT of retraction, and the outer shell was printed very badly (you can see this better in the image below, which was taken after I had cleaned the model a bit):

20151127_192524509_iOS.thumb.jpg.4a74df01ba5f58b55fa5b4f4d4aefa47.jpg

What would you guys recommend to fix both issues? Cura settings were exactly the ones that colorfabb suggests at http://learn.colorfabb.com (layerheight 0.27, speed 50, temperature 205 - I tried lowering it down to 180 but nothing changed, retraction speed 40, retraction distance 5.5). It was printed with a 1.0mm nozzle and from observing the print, the problems started right where the main branch split in 3, and so the head had to retract a lot and constantly move from one island to the other. The situation got even worse when those 3 islands starting multiplying. Thanks in advance guys.

20151127_185132218_iOS.thumb.jpg.45f8ffee8c6abefddac771a0e890dc90.jpg

20151127_192524509_iOS.thumb.jpg.4a74df01ba5f58b55fa5b4f4d4aefa47.jpg

Edited by Guest

Posted · Help! First print with Colorfabb's Woodfill

Did you try to print the same model with normal PLA? You can try that to see how it's printed in PLA compared to your woodfill-trial :D

Because, your model doesn't look like an easy one to print anyway. :D

I followed the Colorfabb settings they recommended and my first test print in woodfill came out just fine. (a simple marvin though :D)

7RaqTVp.jpg

Printing with a 1mm nozzle has a big effect on settings so the colorfabb ones wont apply.

You will need to up the flow rate.

I haven't printed with a 1mm nozzle only 0.4mm so cant share my settings.

@DidierKlein reciently printed out some pretty mint prints with a 1mm nozzle that he posted in Post Your Latest Print so he might be good to get some pointers from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second time's the charm. Turns out I had an issue with my rear fan not running at all. Fixed that, plus printed at a slower speed, and the results were much much better (although I still had a lot of retractions to clean afterwards):

P1010650-1.thumb.jpg.67ca151e314d32fc23444873794beb82.jpg

P1010650-1.thumb.jpg.67ca151e314d32fc23444873794beb82.jpg

• Like 1