"X & Y Axis Switch Broken" Error Message

apuglisi

Posted (edited) · "X & Y Axis Switch Broken" Error Message

Hi everyone!

I am new to the 3D Printing Community, and recently acquired two Ultimaker 2 units in my work space. I have been having trouble with one unit in particular; I was able to print a few jobs with the machine before I noticed dramatic "leaning prints" along the x-axis. I did some investigating and completed the following troubleshooting ideas: http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#leaning and then adjusted the switch.  After this, I was able to print successfully two items (about 1.5 hours worth) and then the leaning print problem returned (I have attached an image of the failed job).

We continued to look at the belts, to see if anything was wrong, restored to factory settings, and continue to experience problems. We tried tightening all of the rods on the unit, and now we are receiving an error message on our unit stating "X & Y Axis Switch is Broken" and to contact support. I noticed this afternoon that there is a sound coming from the machine as if it is grinding?

With this being a new machine, we are hoping that perhaps there is a simple issue that we are overlooking, and are hoping to benefit from your expertise!

All help and feedback is much appreciated.

5a331604a59c7_FileJan0620027PM.thumb.jpeg.9cb3496076d4a11e16c19eeb6a7753aa.jpeg

5a331604a59c7_FileJan0620027PM.thumb.jpeg.9cb3496076d4a11e16c19eeb6a7753aa.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Posted · "X & Y Axis Switch Broken" Error Message

Yes I'm sure it's simple. I know you "tightened the rods" but the most likely issue is that one of the 6 pulleys on your X axis is a bit loose. Inside the pulley is a tiny set screw - it is 2mm hex I believe. You need a 2mm hex wrench which should have come with your printer - tighten the hell out of all 6 pulleys on your X axis. The most likely one failing is the one on the X motor. That one is tricky to get to but you should be able to get to it without taking anything apart. You should twist the tool so much that it twists/spirals slightly. Pretty much the max force you can apply with just your fingers. Or maybe a strong persons fingers. You might actually also have to use pliers if you are of mere average adult strength.

I think 2 of the 6 pulleys are on the same screw possibly so it might be 5 screws for the X axis plus another 5 or 6 for the Y axis but it looks like the X axis is your main problem.

You may have other issues so fix this one first and show us the next problem - I think you are also undrextruding maybe a bit - not sure yet.

Hi Gr5,

Thanks for the feedback. We tightened the screws as best we can, yet we are still having trouble. :( There seems to be a grinding noise and the machine continues to not want to leave the left corner.

Push the head around by hand. I'm wondering if there is excess friction somewhere and the steppers can't provide enough force and loose some steps. That certainly makes a lot of noise.

You should be able to push the head around along a single axis with one finger on each opposite block.

The most common cause of high friction on a UM2 is if the 2 axis are not perpendicular at the head. This is usually visible just by looking down on the printer. It's easily fixed by loosening two of the pulleys on one side - two connected to the same long belt. Then pushing the head all the way to the end such that both blocks won't go any further and tightening the pulleys back up again while in this position.

I agree with Robert - a video really would help quite a bit.

You are welcome to come to Boston and I can very likely fix your printer within 20 minutes.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. It appeared as if the front X Axis was out of alignment; we were able to move everything back into place. The U2 is no longer making any noise; we have tightened the pulleys and I am happy to report that the head leaves the back left corner again. We are no longer getting any errors about the x & y axis and/or switch needing attention, but now we have returned to the original problem of leaning/slanted prints. I am linking you to a video that shows the U2 in progress & I am inserting an image of the messed up print job.

Thanks for being so helpful!

FailedPrint1.thumb.jpeg.6e16d0ee1633d300e5a6abbba043bdfc.jpeg

FailedPrint1.thumb.jpeg.6e16d0ee1633d300e5a6abbba043bdfc.jpeg

Leaning/slanted prints are almost always a loose screw. Especially this extreme. The same screws you said you just tightened. Did you tighten them all? Even the ones on the motor?

There are some rare cases where there is very high friction on X or Y axis - you can test for this - with power off push the head around with one finger on each of the 2 opposite blocks. You should be able to do it with one finger on each block.

Much much more likely you still have a screw that isn't quite tight enough. You have to tighten the hell out of them - the tool should actually twist and you should be a little scared the tool will break. You might want someone with above average finger strength to do this step.

If you look at which direction the part leans that tells you which axis has the problem and limits you to only 6 screws (actually most likely only 2 screws -the 2 on the belt going to the motor).

Posted (edited) · "X & Y Axis Switch Broken" Error Message

If you want to drive into Boston, MA I can fix this for you in seconds. If you have an olsson block with your printer then I can install that for you also.

Edited by Guest

Leaning/slanted prints are almost always a loose screw.  Especially this extreme.  The same screws you said you just tightened.  Did you tighten them all?  Even the ones on the motor?

There are some rare cases where there is very high friction on X or Y axis - you can test for this - with power off push the head around with one finger on each of the 2 opposite blocks.  You should be able to do it with one finger on each block.

Much much more likely you still have a screw that isn't quite tight enough.  You have to tighten the hell out of them - the tool should actually twist and you should be a little scared the tool will break.  You might want someone with above average finger strength to do this step.

If you look at which direction the part leans that tells you which axis has the problem and limits you to only 6 screws (actually most likely only 2 screws -the 2 on the belt going to the motor).

Hello good friend!

Thanks for the feedback. We're tightening screws, and I think that I've identified a loose screw that is particularly difficult to reach. I'll let you know how things go; our print jobs are getting better/cleaner.

Thanks for the support, and who knows, maybe we'll seek your guidance in Boston after all? ;)

• Like 1

If you are desperate enough to come to Boston contact me by sending an email to gr@gr5.org, then you will get a bounce email - locate it (may be in your spam folder) and follow the simple directions to prove you are human.