Which UM2 is older?

axislab

Posted (edited) · Which UM2 is older?

I have 2 UM2 machines, I was told a while back that one was an older build because you could tell the LED's were different. Is this correct?

One is a bit brighter, which makes me guess that is a newer build. ??

The only other thing I can see that is different, is the four long carriage/hotend screws on that one has 4 black spacers, where the other, slightly dimmer LED machine, does not.

Is there any other way to date and age older UM2's?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Which UM2 is older?

No, the LED strip can't be used to date a machine. I'm guessing your friend is gauging it by the LED strip being covered in silicone or not. That has flip flopped back and forth a bit so it's not a good indicator.

The spacers are a better indication. The one with spacers is older. You'll likely also see that the bottom plastic piece of the head is taller than on the other machine.

The best way is to simply look at the serial number. They go in order.

The older UM2's the led strip is like a flexible silicon one. The newer ones is like a thin alloy strip with the actual leds exposed.

For some of the machines the black sections of the hot end bearing assembly is different but not sure of the lengths at from what time they changed.

The main electronic board has different versions so you could check those numbers.

Newer UM2's have a metal ring in the entry of the feeder and older ones don't.

There are a few other minor things but can't remember then right now.

Thanks guys.

Serial numbers, that would it go by the first set of 6 correct? Or the last set of 9? They flip-flop from lowest/highest is the only reason I ask.

UM2A14 - MES133734

UM2A41 - MES133711

Edited by Guest

The first of those is the oldest. It goes like this:

UM2A01-MES133701 -> UM2A01-MES133799

and then:

UM2A02-MES133701 -> UM2A02-MES133799

And so forth.

The first of those is the oldest. It goes like this:

UM2A01-MES133701 -> UM2A01-MES133799

and then:

UM2A02-MES133701 -> UM2A02-MES133799

And so forth.

Ah, got it, thanks.

They are farther apart than I realized.

I have been having trouble with them both over this past year, I'm going to choose one, (probably the newer) and put some money into all the new mods, and bring it back to it's rightful glory.

I'm just trying to take in all the factors before choosing which one gets the star treatment.

Thanks for the insight.

Edited by Guest