Cura not slicing a model

robboz4

Posted · Cura not slicing a model

I trying to make the model of Stephenson's Rocket from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:564002

but the main platform (01_the_bottom_plate.stl) does not get sliced by Cura. I've tried and printed several of the parts already, but this part doe not seem to slice. It loads and is in the view window. No time or filament length show up so the save/print icon is always greyed out. If you look at slicing window there is only one layer. I have used mesh mixer and even Makerbot software to re-save it as a new STL file, but these files exhibit the same issue in Cura. I have printed the model previously on a makerbot, but it print warped, so I wanted to reprint a new version from Cura. Any clues as to why it is not slicing in Cura?

I'm using 15.04.3 on an iMac. Not sure what or where to find the second number. When the model is loaded there is no slice log output available. When I get a model that slices I get the log available. It seems when this file loads, Cura doesn't recognize it or try to launch the slicer.

In cura there is a setting under quality called "cutoff object obttom" in advanced tab. Make sure this is zero.

You may have set this to a non-zero value in the past and didn't realize that the settings get carried forward. Set this to zero.

Alternatively check your "fix horrible" settings. Try checking either none of them or alternatively "type a" only.

Thanks, but no luck! I had a model previously loaded. I did a clear platform and loaded in this model. It kept the same printing details of the pervious model. If you go into layer view the old model is still there. All other files are working except this one.

I tried every combination of the A, B setting but nothing seems to work... have a 0 value in the other field..

I think I understand the issue now. I had a PrintrBot Play selected as the printer type. It looks like this file might be too big for the Play's bed. I changed printer type to a larger printer model and slicing now works. I'll see if what the print looks like after I finished the current job.

Is there anywhere I could check for a Cura error or information from Cura when something like this happens? I relatively new to Cura

The object should turn gray if it isnt possible to slice it due to size.

Thanks. The object did stay grey. So now I will know in future. It did print successfully last night.

Thanks to everyone of the help!

So i fixed the issue with Cura not slicing .

1. I uninstalled Cura

2. I went into Program files and deleted the Cura folder left after uninstall 

3. I install C-cleaner and cleaned everything 

4. Disable the windows 10 antivirus and other protection 

5. Restart the computer 

6. Reinstall Cura 

7. Slicing working again, im not sure witch one its cause but you guys can play with all the information till you figure it out 

8. Enjoy

On 1/11/2016 at 12:15 AM, robboz4 said:

I trying to make the model of Stephenson's Rocket from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:564002

but the main platform (01_the_bottom_plate.stl) does not get sliced by Cura. I've tried and printed several of the parts already, but this part doe not seem to slice. It loads and is in the view window. No time or filament length show up so the save/print icon is always greyed out. If you look at slicing window there is only one layer. I have used mesh mixer and even Makerbot software to re-save it as a new STL file, but these files exhibit the same issue in Cura. I have printed the model previously on a makerbot, but it print warped, so I wanted to reprint a new version from Cura. Any clues as to why it is not slicing in Cura?

So i fixed the issue with Cura not slicing .

1. I uninstalled Cura

2. I went into Program files and deleted the Cura folder left after uninstall 

3. I install C-cleaner and cleaned everything 

4. Disable the windows 10 antivirus and other protection 

5. Restart the computer 

6. Reinstall Cura 

7. Slicing working again, im not sure witch one its cause but you guys can play with all the information till you figure it out 

8. Enjoy