Critique

czucker

I attempted my most ambitious print so far last night. A replacement fan duct. I printed with supports, mostly just to see how it worked, I don't think it was necessary in the end.

Anyhow, this is how they came out:

001_FanShroud_1p.jpg

002_FanShroud_1p.jpg

You can see that on the sloped bit the strands of PLA didn't really stick together and the areas around the screw holes aren't fully filled.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can improve on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Most likely you are under-extruding. Less filament is coming out of the nozzle then intended. As your tops/bottoms are also not filled fully. Could be your extruder drive slipping. Do you have a V3 bolt and the new bertho extruder upgrade?

Your print isn't too bad for early days. Looks like you aren't extruding enough though.

Possibly not printing hot enough.

To get you're right temp, extrude at a higher temp, say about 230 and slowly back it off by by 5 degrees till the filament coming out isn't shiny anymore, than use a temperature 5 degrees hotter than that temp.

You don't need support for that part. Just print it in the orientation of your second photo.

What slicer are you using?

congradulations on your first print !

my first print was a one inch fuzzy hairy...... box ???

so as first prints go.... SUPER !!!

check your extruder, if its a v1, you have the screw maybe too tight ? or as the guys said, your running a little too cold.

what speed are you running and temp ?

also v1 extruder or Bertho upgrade ?

Ian

As a starting value i would advice to measure the filament diameter you are using.

Do you have a digital calipers?

If you do not, i would suggest to use 2.85mm as it should be the average.

I printed that exact same shroud yesterday with no support and ended up with similar results. The filament measured at 2.90 average. I was using Ultimaker silver filament at 220C. I believe the temp is high enough, so I'll take a look at my extrusion settings. Glad to see this thread. Thanks!

I printed exactly the same. One came out wrong. The second was quite good. But those overhaning parts never get smooth with my machine.