Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Dual fan on Ultimaker origonal

So as i know nothing about electronics, i have been searching threads for different ways to get two fans on the ultimaker origonal.

I understand that most are 12V, but the ultimaker pumps out 19v to the fans, but some people are saying wire in serial, others are saying wire in parallel, then talking about so much "lingo" i dont get. anyone can reccomend just a decent second fan, how to wire it in (serial / parallel) and i understand cable splicing will be required!

Many thanks,

Yes, but sadly I can't even get the ducts needed to print acceptably lately. The heated bed has made my life a bit more complicated lately! :O

The link @SandervG gives is for an Ultimaker Oringinal + which has a metal shroud, just so you know. I have the UMO...no + I'm not sure what you have?

There's many threads here where there are concerns about the fans you use. I'm not a super experienced electronics guy but from what I can gather, the biggest issue is how many amps you draw. If you make sure the fans are low (as all are), you are fine.

There's also some comments about electronic noise, so when the next fan is added, it seems wise to keep those wires clear of the others (heat probe, etc).

Here's the model I've been trying to print http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1268841

As for fans...2-wire is what comes on the UMO. Fans like this look like they would work. I am try to avoid cutting and splicing wires and looking for a Y adapter that would allow two 2-pin wire fans to plug into the one plug. I see 3 wire everywhere but not two. (If you find it, share!)

@LePaul, if your HBK is giving you trouble, put tape on the glass, and set the temperature to 0. Then you can print like you are used to. Alternatively, try to use lower temperatures without tape(30-40C).

I believe you can power a 3wired fan with just + and -, atleast that's what I did during some testing :)

@LePaul, if your HBK is giving you trouble, put tape on the glass, and set the temperature to 0. Then you can print like you are used to. Alternatively, try to use lower temperatures without tape(30-40C).

I believe you can power a 3wired fan with just + and -, atleast that's what I did during some testing :)

Use gluestick tho at that range for adhesion, right?

I really prefer the cut/solder/forget about it route. Remember if the fan fails, so does the transistor (I remember I did read somewhere that the transistor pwm fan of umo was also kinda weak).

See there you go again ,scaring us! Everyone says "just splice in another, works fine!" then a couple threads later, people say not to....I wish Ultimaker or somebody would give a definitive answer on if we CAN splice another fan in safely (with same power limits as first fan) or not.

Lols, I'm the last one to know something. But I don't think there are many users here that had to change the smd um2 transistor more times than I did :( . So I prefer to be safe than sorry, this boards are expensive :D

Also soldering it's fun!

Oh I do a lot of soldering with my Arduino motor shields and R2 work.  You should follow my page  and see what I do when not sorting out this printer  lol

I'm calling a local computer shop, hoping they have a 40mm fan I can test with

just looked at your page another online aquaintance of mine has liked it also! what are the chances!

Okay, so a little progress....I found a fan that appears to be the same size as the one that came with my UMO. Nice!

Now notice the orientation of my print head....now how can I re-orient the print head? I mean I can unscrew it to the right spot...but where/how do I secure it? I really don't want to take the print head all apart!

Essentially I need to swing the printhead around 90 degrees.

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.b7da62c314840621549fdb55f72c6d0c.JPG

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.e2ea12d3105f0243f15f593b88be6af9.JPG

IMG_0528.thumb.JPG.b7da62c314840621549fdb55f72c6d0c.JPG

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.e2ea12d3105f0243f15f593b88be6af9.JPG

I really prefer the cut/solder/forget about it route. Remember if the fan fails, so does the transistor (I remember I did read somewhere that the transistor pwm fan of umo was also kinda weak).

See there you go again ,scaring us!  Everyone says "just splice in another, works fine!" then a couple threads later, people say not to....I wish Ultimaker or somebody would give a definitive answer on if we CAN splice another fan in safely (with same power limits as first fan) or not.

You can! I did it too! Didn't I mention this already a couple of times? :p

Hi everyone

Are you guys still working on a double fan solution for the UMO non +?

I'm interested too, but as I do more research I just get more confused.

I need a fan shrould which is working with Lars custom XY Blocks, and I need two fans.

But as I do not know for sure what the actual voltage of the UMO ist, I don't know if I have to order fans to put in series or in parallel.

I'm quite surprised you find plenty of information on how to change belts and pulleys but not really a solution for a dual fan upgrade?

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Are you guys still working on a double fan solution for the UMO non +?

I'm interested too, but as I do more research I just get more confused.

I need a fan shrould which is working with Lars custom XY Blocks, and I need two fans.

But as I do not know for sure what the actual voltage of the UMO ist, I don't know if I have to order fans to put in series or in parallel.

I'm quite surprised you find plenty of information on how to change belts and pulleys but not really a solution for a dual fan upgrade?

Soon, very soon.