Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
avogra

Thermal grease for PT100 and heater?

I don't recommend it as it goes hard over time and you wont be able to get the sensor out easily. If you do ever remove the sensor then you have to remove all the grease as the dried up remains end up as a thermal insulator. Its normally for heat sinks that have flat surfaces where it is not a problem.

Where I worked we tried Thermal pastes and copper pastes and copper anti-seize grease. Didn't matter what we used it ended up drying out causing issues working in about the same temp ranges. So we settled with using nothing at all.

The oil tends to migrate away leaving the soap in the copper anti-seize. this is ok for bolts but it looses its benefits for temp sensors.

I also remember a few posts of people here who couldn't get their sensors out after using the thermal paste.

@Labern, then it probably doesn't make any difference at all :PI didn't get the PT100 out of my old block with only 200 hours printed and maybe 10 hours thereof above 210°C. Anyway, I'm not planning to exchange it in the near future. Installed the 35W heater too at the occasion so I hope I won't have to touch my hotend anytime soon.

@neotko, thats exactly what I did in the end ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1