What is too hot?

Dweldz

Posted · What is too hot?

One thing that I read and appears to be helping quite a bit with ABS

is to raise the cabinet air temp.

I'm experimenting with packing foam sheets and change the openings to keep the air temp at about 50.

With nothing the max air temp I was seeing was 35 and adhesion or warping was a hit or miss.

I've had good results when keeping the air warm.

My question is what's the safe max air temp that the servos etc will tolerate happily?

I read 50C some where so that is what I am limiting it too currently

Thanks

20160209_135617.thumb.jpg.bce2c1ca0a13e1a9f61af608c283154a.jpg

20160209_135617.thumb.jpg.bce2c1ca0a13e1a9f61af608c283154a.jpg

Posted (edited) · What is too hot?

50 is okay. It will not cause any problems in longtherm. But if you are printing in your home abs can cause bad health conditions. 3d printing filaments can produce some really small parts in the air. But you can research yourself I only use PLA in my hobby room (with good air cleaning). I see on your photo there is one silver thing behind your printer, I think it is also for air ventilation.

Edited by Guest

Thanks

If I cover the roof more completely the temp goes way above 50.

Covering the front makes the biggest difference as the hot end fan blows the nice warm air right out the front.

I wonder if you can turn that fan around to blow toward the back of the unit?

I think I will sneak up on the air temp, might make some manner of heat shield for the steppers.

Interesting, my printer is designed for ABS, it is fully enclosed. I must confess I have no idea what the internal temp gets to but after 2 years+ nothing has broken - but I do print more PLA than ABS.

I am thinking the air temp in an entirely enclosed unit would be lower as I'm more or less enclosing a much smaller volume with only convection to pull in cooler air.

I'm guessing you have some manner of exhaust too which will also bring it down by pulling in the cooler make up air.

I am toying with enclosing my printer as well.