Missing Layers in Cura

Atibbles

Posted (edited) · Missing Layers in Cura

Hello Everyone,

I've recently done a multiple scan of a large object with varying level of details, after meshing them all together (there's a few floating levels on the inside) but the strange thing is that in layer view of cura there are random, actually random not where the stl is split, layers missing and I can't figure out why, everyone I know is stumped and the internet hasn't provided so far.

Has anyone had this before?

http://imgur.com/6WSteri

http://imgur.com/SKYy2oT'>http://imgur.com/SKYy2oT

http://imgur.com/SKYy2oT

Edited by Guest

Posted · Missing Layers in Cura

Have you tried the different Fix Horrible under Expert Settings. The Fix horrible settings can save your model or it can get it totally wrong, but it's worth a try.

Netfabb basic doesn't suffice for most broken models, the online service does a much more thorough job.

you could try Make Printable

Try messing around with meshlab. Its rather unstable, but it has amazing algorithms (once you finally figure out how they work. It's not for the faint of heart)

I've tried the fix horrible settings, did not make things less horrible. I'm uploading to Make Printable now, I'll see how that does. The file keeps failing to upload to netfabb online now, despite it being 83MB.

I've been working with meshlab but I just don't know enough. If you know how to get rid create just an outer surface as a single shell from merged meshes, please let me know.

@Atibbles: If you share the data I could try using meshmixer.

Edited by Guest

Cheers Johank, I'm uploading a backdated cleaner one than the one I printed after Netfabb fix. So it's not solid. I'm downloading meshmixer too.

Here's the design on Youmagine, so far meshmixer crashes looking at a high level of detail and Make Printable can't manage it.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/mackenzie

Hi @Atibbles,

I'ts actually quite impressive if Cura only missed a few layers of your model because there isn't a single closed volume. There are a lot of shells and small surface speckles. Generally it should be the role of the scanner software to create a solid model ("watertight") or at the very least join different scans from different angles to one single surface model (fuse the scans).

Also the registration of the different surfaces in the model are quite off. I actually suspect the scanner hardware is not properly calibrated so that the scans won't fit together nicely no matter how hard you try.

I used Meshmixer to make a printable model. The result is not that nice, but it should print at least. I uploaded it to your design on youmagine.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2