Ultimaker 2 or Ultimaker 2+

Posted · Ultimaker 2 or Ultimaker 2+

Hello,

I'm looking to become a new proud owner of a Ultimaker 2. I'm trying to decide on the UM2 or the UM2+. I have found the UM2 for $2000. Do I buy the UM2 for $2000 and wait for the upgrade kit or just by UM2+ with the factory installed upgrades for $2500? Does anybody have any idea how much the upgrade kit will cost? Less than $500? If it's anywhere near $500 for the upgrade kit I'll probably go with the UM2+. Are the UM2+ upgrades a must? Also what is the difference in heat up time between the two? What would you say the max print speed is without sacrificing quality? Let me know what you guys think. I'm looking forward to joining the community.

Hi @Nfcrockett, welcome to the forums! :)

Is the Ultimaker 2 you found second hand or a new one?

When installing the extrusion upgrade you are replacing most parts parts that would show signs of wear but you may want to check how it has been used (if it is second hand).

Unfortunately, I can't say much about the costs yet.

I don't think the upgrades are a must, because the Ultimaker 2 has been around for some time and won a lot of awards and acknowledgement. And that wouldn't have been possible if there were obvious design flaws. On the other hand, the upgrades on the Ultimaker 2+ do really make a difference and have made the machine more reliable (stronger feeder) and easier to use.

- stronger feeder

- more accurate PT100

- 35W heater cartridge

- pre-installed Olsson Block

- better and quieter fans (shroud)

- etc.

The max print speed is listed on our product page, along with other specs (Ultimaker 2+). Check 'm out :)

Thanks for the input. This is a brand new printer. I'm aware of the print speeds, I was just curious what experiences some of the users here have had as far as max prints speeds without substantially affecting print quality. For example, the printer I have now is rated for 100mm/s but can not reliably print anywhere near those speeds. More like 30mm/s reliably. Thanks for replying so quickly.

Thanks for the input. This is a brand new printer. I'm aware of the print speeds, I was just curious what experiences some of the users here have had as far as max prints speeds without substantially affecting print quality. For example, the printer I have now is rated for 100mm/s but can not reliably print anywhere near those speeds. More like 30mm/s reliably. Thanks for replying so quickly.

After working with the 2+ I can confidently echo what Sander says about it being even more reliable of a machine, and more powerful feeder. I think the price is worth it but it is your wallet. If you are comfortable with installing parts then it won't be an issue either way. If you can manage it, order it now, plug in one cord and start!

What do you plan on printing? My advice to learning is to print something daily, learn by failing, often!

Will the + upgrades improve the UM's ability to print ABS? I love my UM's, have two, but have never been able to duplicate the quality and ease of printing ABS on my old Wanhao Duplicator 4S. In particular I am talking about fine details at 80-100 micron resolution.

The Wanhao is an enclosed printer, which is critical in my environment for ABS given that it can be cool and drafty, so I bought an enclosure for my UM2's.

I had also installed a ducted fan with highly directed cooling on the Wanhao and I think this is was the difference.

On both printers I run the hot end at the lowest temperatures possible where I still get clean extrusion (210-215).

Will the upgrade to cooling be a significant improvement for ABS?

I normally print in PLA and can do brilliant quality to 40 microns ... and 40 microns of resolution with a 25 micron nozzle is really something to see! But I occasionally need to be printing in ABS though never at the PLA levels of resolution or detail. Just better than I can do now.

I am selling a nearly new ultimaker 2 for 1000.  I have all original boxes and such.  this has printed about 10% of its first roll of pla.....very clean