Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

The original buildplate is acrylic, wich is not very heat tolerant, so do not try to mount it to that one.

There are cheap third-party heated beds that fit the Ultimaker Original more or less without any modifications except a larger power supply if you want to do it on the cheap.

The Official HBK is a very nice upgrade tough, a much nicer construction, new Z motor with integrated leadscrew, included power supply etc. Premium quality for a premium price :-)

You definitely can do your own HB solution. You have to worry about thermistor, firmware upgrade (that I can help you with easily), wiring, possible relay, power supply...

The UM upgrade however gives you a much better steel bed. My old wooden bed had to be releveled every day - it kept slumping due to my heavy heated bed (home built). But the upgraded steel bed held it's position for a month. No leveling needed for a month!

Obviously I wouldnt fit it ontop of the acrylic bed, but not impressed with having to level all the time so that would put me off, its over 6months since I levelled bed on my Davinci.

I have a machine shop near me who have a laser that can cut alum so might get some blanks made and go that route.

Thought it strange they changed to a 8mm leadscrew with a heavier alum bed the original has a 12mm leadscrew, you would think it should be the other way around