Cura - Support issue

Posted · Cura - Support issue

Having a 3d model with a complex geometry where support is very useful in certain areas, but in other areas it would destroy the model (for example places on the geometry where its not possible to remove the support). Im wondering why its not possible to choose in Cura exactly where I want the support and where I won't.

It's possible to choose 'touching buildplate' and 'everywhere' support, but in some cases it doesn't work out for my model. Is there anyone facing the same dillemma and know a way to decide exactly where the support should be? Is it easiest to draw the specific support in the CAD-model or is there another slicer that has more advanced setting?

Im sorry but I can't show my 3d model because its work related. I can however draw an example if it helps understanding my issue?

Hi,

I think this feature has been requested several times. I guess it is just quite hard to implement properly. But I sure do miss it from time to time. Hopefully the new Cura version will support it at some point.

In the mean time here is a workaround. You could load your .stl file in Meshmixer and add support struts there. Then export the new .stl file and slice it with Cura. Here is a handy tutorial: link.

• Like 1

Another solution is to use both, if appropriate. I.E. use the Cura support type touching buildplate" and then Meshmixer for the additional areas that require support. I have found the Cura support to be easier and less damaging to break away that the Meshimixer supports. Then again perhaps I nee to read the tutorial Nico provided the link for :)

You can also use Autodesk Print Studio. It has some good functions for manual supports.

Hello AreDigg! :-) I wanted to ask if you know, on flat surfaces or in any case quite stretched during the nozzle moves in the same plane, often releases the filament yarns as if colasse during the nozzle moving, the problem as well as to leave these wires if it moves on a fairly flat expanse superfce is evident in this case the surface marked dalla'ugello and that 'as if passing on this surface so filoda to leave marks! I wonder if in the section retraction there is' a value that you can modify, or you wonder if there 'a chance' when it 'these movements if the CURA you can' say instead of the entire surface atraversare to arrive at a point especially this surface rather than through it to turn around along the perfimetro object or area concerned, i know that by doing so 'the times are getting longer but surely improve printing avoiding to leave these marks on these types of surfaces! Waiting for your suggestion thank you very much! Alex Elvis3D

If you created the model or you can edit it, you could try designing the supports yourself.

For very fine details, you might want the supports to sit closer to the model for higher accuracy (e.g. a gap of 0.2mm). And for larger parts the support could be further away, for easier removal (e.g. a gap of 0.4mm) but then with less quality.

Also, I often design features into the supports to make removal easier, for example: extensions on which I can get a good grip with tools, or spaces where I can access some areas easier with a knife. Or holes to put in a hook and pull the support out. It takes time to design these things, and think it over, but it is worth the effort.

These are things you can do manually, but that would be extremely difficult to generate automatic.

(I just design all supports in the same program in which I create my models, DesignSpark Mechanical.)

If you created the model or you can edit it, you could try designing the supports yourself.

For very fine details, you might want the supports to sit closer to the model for higher accuracy (e.g. a gap of 0.2mm). And for larger parts the support could be further away, for easier removal (e.g. a gap of 0.4mm) but then with less quality.

Also, I often design features into the supports to make removal easier, for example: extensions on which I can get a good grip with tools, or spaces where I can access some areas easier with a knife. Or holes to put in a hook and pull the support out. It takes time to design these things, and think it over, but it is worth the effort.

These are things you can do manually, but that would be extremely difficult to generate automatic.

(I just design all supports in the same program in which I create my models, DesignSpark Mechanical.)

Hello Geert-2 :-) :-) I would like to ask you something, on flat surfaces or in any case quite stretched during the nozzle moves in the same plane, often releases the filament yarns as if colasse while moving, the problem as well as to leave these wires if it moves on a fairly flat surface expanse, in this case the surface is marked by the nozzle as if passing on to wire so as to leave of the signs! I wonder if in the section retraction there is' a value that you can modify or there 'a chance' when it 'these movements if the CARE you can' say instead of the entire surface atraversare to arrive at a particular point of this surface rather than through it to turn around along the perimeter of the object or area concerned ?? I know that doing so 'the times are getting longer but surely improve printing avoiding to leave these marks on these types of surfaces! Waiting for your suggestion thank you very much! Alex Elvis3D