Can't Print anything good after upgrade to heated bed!

ornatos

Posted · Can't Print anything good after upgrade to heated bed!

Hi Everyone.

I bought the original Heated Bed upgrade kit for my Ultimaker original. I have no problems to mount everything after i upgrade the firmware and everything seems to work right, but when I try to print the ultimaker robot something strange happened, The size of the model is maybe 3x more and the robot is full of holes. i thinnk it's something about the z axle, but i don't know how to fix it.

This is the picture of the two prints, one before i upgrade the bed and the other is after.

12722590_10209429506035482_1093538721_o.thumb.jpg.21c8bc6dca476e6340be9737d2b2c605.jpg

All the help will be aprecieted.

Thanks a lot

Gerson Brito

12722590_10209429506035482_1093538721_o.thumb.jpg.21c8bc6dca476e6340be9737d2b2c605.jpg

Hi Gerson, welcome to the forums.

I believe there are 2 reasons for this to happen.

One was uploading the Ultimaker 2 firmware. Can you tripple check you are uploading the correct firmware to your Ultimaker?

So if you have an upgrades Ultimaker Original, upload the Ultimaker Original with heated bed upgrade, not the Ultimaker Original+ firmware. Those machines have different electronics.

About the second reason, I'll have to look for it ;)

It was just the Z steps/mm were off that's all. Since it was stepping 3X as far he had 1/3 as much extrusion as needed for each layer.

It's funny to keep seeing these zombiUltibot's rise from certain ultimakers. Luckily there's an easy fix, but first you have to find it.

@SandervG, perhaps an Idea to try and recreate the problem(I believe changing Zaccel and such in FW once on UMO before upgrading HBK can cause it, atleast in my case.). Next write a support page and make sure it's easily found by the search/mentioned in the newer versions of the HBK pdf in a FAQ section?

One of the problems...

Certain parameters are kept in a special memory called the "eeprom" including:

steps/mm

hours printed - ever (like an odometer)

Um2 only:

Z home position

filament settings (diameter, retraction, temperatures)

When you upgrade marlin - usually these values are not touched - this is so you can carry forward your personal settins from one version to the next and don't have to for example rehome the build plate on the UM2. Sometimes the values are incompatible and after the upgrade Marlin detects this and resets all these values to default. You can force the reset by donig a "reset to factory settings" but you lose things like how many hours your printer has ever printed.

So what I think happened is when upgrading marlin to the newer version with a different steps/mm it decided to keep the old values in the eeprom. This problem may show up again for people with UM2+ upgrades. We shall see. It might have to do with if you played with your steps/mm before the upgrade - it might be that Marlin detects that you modified this setting and decide not to mess with it on upgrade.