Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
sinchley

Does the E3D hardened Steel nozzle fit the UM2+

Hi there. I have an Ultimaker 2 + and have just bought some XT-CF20 carbon fill filament and noticed that I should be using a steel nozzle instead of the brass one it came with. Does anyone know if the E3D hardened steel nozzle fits the UM2+ easily? The link for the nozzle which I believe they recommend for using with carbon filaments is:

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Extra-Nozzles/V6-nozzle-hardened-steel-3mmx0.4mm

Thanks

Simon

I am just about to enter the world of the Ultimaker printers and am considering buying the Ultimaker 3 for its dual filament feature. This is because the option of then using a soluble support material is important. However I am naturally interested in trying out different filaments of which ColorFabb SteelFill is one. I am unclear as to whether or not it's possible to change the nozzle to an E3D steel one and would this then cancel the auto-recognise feature of the nozzle block? I am aware that new settings can be input per filament but does this extend to such a physical change?

Yes and no. The e3d steel nozzles will not fit the UM core and on top of that it's very difficult to change a nozzle without breaking the core. However you can get 3rd party cores from here (disclaimer - I sell these also but not in england). 3dsolex has sold hundreds of these "hardcore" cores which will take many nozzle types including steel and ruby nozzles (ruby is much much harder than steel).

http://3dsolex.com/representatives/