New Extruder for ultimaker2+

Posted · New Extruder for ultimaker2+

I see some problems with this design

• There does not seem to be any tension adjustment or manual filament release.
  • The same side of the filament is gripped by both of the hobbed gears. This may unduly bend and deform that side, and prints with heavy retraction may fail.
  • There are no filament guides. This design won't work well with flexible filaments.

• Like 3

I see some problems with this design

• There does not seem to be any tension adjustment or manual filament release.

• The same side of the filament is gripped by both of the hobbed gears. This may unduly bend and deform that side, and prints with heavy retraction may fail.

• There are no filament guides. This design won't work well with flexible filaments.

5a331a8ba5abc_ZAPE98W0GO0IJ)(C336.thumb.png.314a5fe35c67d51ca44717f020ecb064.png

I drew a picture for the first problem.

Thank you for reminding me for the second problem,I'll try to fix this problem.

:p(I am really sorry I can not understand the meaning of the second question clearly,because my English is not good)

5a331a8ba5abc_ZAPE98W0GO0IJ)(C336.thumb.png.314a5fe35c67d51ca44717f020ecb064.png

So you could use this and then just have to add a second tip/Bowden tube to have a dual extrusion um2+?

It is used to the first extruder,because China can't buy the upgrade package for the Ultimaker2:D

:p(I am really sorry I can not understand the meaning of the second question clearly,because my English is not good)

Do you mean my last point? What I am saying is that a flexible TPU filament such as NinjaFlex will not neatly feed into the extruder, then from the first hobbed gear to the second one, and then out to the bowden tube, if you do not put a channel or some tubing in to control where it goes.

Do you mean my last point? What I am saying is that a flexible TPU filament such as NinjaFlex will not neatly feed into the extruder, then from the first hobbed gear to the second one, and then out to the bowden tube, if you do not put a channel or some tubing in to control where it goes.

I think what you said makes sense,TPU filament should be a problem.I prepare for a test and fix my extruder:P

Can you tell me what I need to change the feeder steps to when using this extruder? I have one, but basically it came with no instructions.

I believe that it will work well.

From my preliminary testing with it not installed, it does not deform the filament anywhere near what the stock knurled wheel does and since both of the driver wheels are engaged with the stepper motor, this extruder should have plenty of control.

With the 16:48 = 1:3 reduction, the extruder should have significantly more torque than the original design.

Thank you

DSCN2905_small.thumb.JPG.8f2ff67acc76018d13ca58e064df9c7d.JPG

DSCN2906_small.thumb.jpg.1c6baf6cb25e557ea56b2ea64e9dd3fa.jpg

The spring loaded tensioners can be squeezed together to manually release tension on the filament in order to easily insert or remove the filament.

If I can figure out how to change the steps per feed, I will install and test this extruder. (please bear with me. I am new at this.)

DSCN2905_small.thumb.JPG.8f2ff67acc76018d13ca58e064df9c7d.JPG

DSCN2906_small.thumb.jpg.1c6baf6cb25e557ea56b2ea64e9dd3fa.jpg

Steps/mm should be in motion settings.

Steps/mm should be in motion settings.

No steps display under my motion settings. It showed "current" for X,Y,Z, & E, but had nothing for steps/mm.

Is there a tutorial on how to use TinkerGnome? I thought I read that with TinkerGnome, one would be able to have access to settings such as steps per feed, etc. I have not yet found any good information.

Just install it. It has all the existing features of Marlin but with more features. There's no training needed. If you know what PRINT means on regular marlin - it's the same on tinker Marlin.