How do i get more prints on my bed? Pics included!

mayo77

Posted · How do i get more prints on my bed? Pics included!

I regularly print very low profile prints (2-5mm in height) cura always defaults to leaving a large area around the print so the fans dont "hit" the already finished print, but these prints are so low profile its not required... is there anyway to force cura to place more objects on 1 bed.

For example

CD42CB07-F4C1-4FDB-A296-96A61DDE9C49.jpg

I want it to print another in between those is that possible, if so how do i got about it please?

You can do it, but you'll have to print in "all at a time mode" which you can get to under the tools tab. So instead of printing one at a time like it is in the picture it will print the whole bed at once.

There's a few disadvantages of doing this, one failure may cause your whole bed to fail. Whereas 1 at a time will usually be salvageable. And also more stringing will occur between parts, but depending on the specific piece, it might not matter, and it might not happen.

The advantage is that you can place almost double the parts if not more on the same bed.

If the items were really so low they would fit under the fan shroud you could change the head dimensions in the machine settings of cura to make cura believe the head is smaller..... but it's a dangerous approach. If you want to do it for a specific job I would recommend adding a new printer to cura and give it a specific name otherwise you'll probably make the mistake of using it on other jobs and crash the head into the print.

• Like 1

In the new Cura you could just change the size of the head in the machine json file.

Posted (edited) · How do i get more prints on my bed? Pics included!

No because then the fan shroud will hit the next print and cause all kinds of bad noises.

But these prints are 2-3mm in height only, this is why I'm asking. My original question should have been clearer i think.

If the items were really so low they would fit under the fan shroud you could change the head dimensions in the machine settings of cura to make cura believe the head is smaller..... but it's a dangerous approach. If you want to do it for a specific job I would recommend adding a new printer to cura and give it a specific name otherwise you'll probably make the mistake of using it on other jobs and crash the head into the print.

Im gonna give this a try because they will fit under the shroud and i have to print a bunch. Thanks, any tips on the settings or should i just mess around with them lol ?

Edited by Guest

In the classic Cura you need to lower these values in machine settings to virtually make the head smaller;

HeadSizeClassic.thumb.jpg.2dc43ca443d646d6bfd071b98548edbd.jpg

In the new cura beta, that will probably go public this week, there's no machine settings gui so you need to change it in the .json file for your machine (also here I would advice to first create and rename a new machine specially for this purpose).

On a windows machine you find the file here;

C:\Program Files\Cura 2.1\resources\machines

HeadNewCura.thumb.jpg.4fc7575da9111a6d3f329ef07575b370.jpg

HeadSizeClassic.thumb.jpg.2dc43ca443d646d6bfd071b98548edbd.jpg

HeadNewCura.thumb.jpg.4fc7575da9111a6d3f329ef07575b370.jpg

• Like 1