Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
lance-greene

1300 hours print time on my UM2. recommended maintenance?

so ive had my machine for about a year and a half now, ive printed around 1300 hours on it and it's been printing like a dream since I got it. i regularly lube the rails and use the supplied grease on the z axis. yesterday i started to notice that sometimes i get a high pitched squeel coming from the machine whenever it moves along the x axis, i cant tell if its the bearings moving on the rial, or if its coming from the stepper motor itself. when i turn the machine off and move the hotend it moves fine along the y axis but on the x axis it basically doesnt want to move, which really makes me think its something with the stepper motor but im not sure. even though the hotend seems stuck while trying to manually move it while the machine is off, it moves fine while printing.

any tips?

Edited by Guest

Maybe you can try and take the belt off for the x-axis stepper motor so it is decoupled, then try moving the gantry... This will inform you if the problems lie in the axis and/or bearings themselves or the motor or belt... I have myself experienced squeeking on my UMO which was caused by a misaligned pulley that made a belt rub against the side of the pulley.