Does UM2 print faster than UM2+ ?

fourchette

Posted · Does UM2 print faster than UM2+ ?

I am not quite sure i should be posting this in Cura or in another section. Please advise.

I am the happy owner of one Ultimaker 2 Extended. I bought it last november. Turns out that I wanted to buy another one in january, so I bought an Ultimaker 2+ Extended. And I added an olson block to my first printer since it did not have it.

I am happy with both printers. However, I have started noticing that print times are different : the 2+ is somehow slower. Like maybe 5 or 10% slower. I have checked print options in Cura. I can say for sure that the "basic" tab in expert mode are exactly the same. Will check the advanced settings later.

(i use cura 15.04.05)

In principle, using same quality and print settings, does the UM2 Extended print faster than UM2+ Extended ? Or reverse? Or are they expected to print at the same speed ? Are hidden default values somehow different? Are there differnt hardware components (typically steppers or stepper drivers) that explain the behavior ?

Should I make a firmware upgrade/downgrade ?

thanks

fourchette

There must be a software/profile difference.... purely from hardware it should be the other way around, the 2+ feeder can handle higher volume, but if you want quality prints you probably print slow anyhow..

There's 2 possibilities.

Most likely settings are different cura. You can print a um2 job on the um2+ and you can print a um2+ job on the um2 as long as it isn't too tall. I actually usually slice for the um2go so it can print on any printer, lol. I'm guessing one of the many speed settings is different, (like bottom layer speed, infill speed and so on).

However another possibility is the acceleration. I don't know if you can see it with regular marlin firmware - I think you can under motion settings? It's typically 5000mm^2/sec on factory shipped Ultimakers but it can probably go to 9000mm^2/sec no problem. Acceleration is more important than print speed for smaller parts because it might never get up to full speed with the slower acceleration. Keep in mind that Makerbot's and other printers with feeder motor on the head have more like 1000mm^2/sec acceleration.

I have checked the Expert > Advanced tabs and indeed I have spotted two differences that may or may not explain the behavior

um2+ infill speed 60 mm/s

um2 infill speed 100 mm/s

um2+ innershell speed 50 mm/s

um2 innershell speed 80 mm/s

I would explain the speed difference + the fact that I cannot distingish 2 prints

What do you think ?

Also :

However another possibility is the acceleration.  I don't know if you can see it with regular marlin firmware - I think you can under motion settings?  It's typically 5000mm^2/sec on factory shipped Ultimakers but it can probably go to 9000mm^2/sec no problem.  Acceleration is more important than print speed for smaller parts because it might never get up to full speed with the slower acceleration.

I agree, acceleration should be considered. However, I cannot find any acceleration value in the expert tabs. Is it somehow non accessible from UI ?

should i edit some .ini or .cfg file somewhere? (i'm using win7 64 version)

Or should I inspect values on the machine settings using the machine main screen ?

thanks

Cura doesn't set the acceleration - it's purely in Marlin (the firmware inside the printer). I believe you can see the value in "motion settings" or something similar in the Menus on the printer itself.