PTC Creo Parametric -> STL file -> Cura -> Ultimaker 2 Dimension Conversion Problem

elsaj82

Posted · PTC Creo Parametric -> STL file -> Cura -> Ultimaker 2 Dimension Conversion Problem

Hi Ultimaker Users!

The first time I used an Ultimaker was today, and it was a very bad experience. :(

IMG_20160424_144047985.thumb.jpg.386613d0b8ffd4720973a61d9a602bc9.jpg

STL File 1

STL File 2

Capture.thumb.PNG.3782d2eabffc42e180ae888252ae13ff.PNG

For some reason, the Ultimaker 2 is rejecting the dimensions of my 3d models that I want printed. In the above picture, the circles are suppose to be cylinders that have a base of diameter 3 inches and a length of 1.5 inches with a thickness of .25 inch. When the same stl file was sent to the another type of printer called ProJet 3510, the print turned out fine. I'm not sure why the Ultimaker is only printing out .7 inch length/diameter squares and circles of pretty much one dimension. Do you know what I might be doing wrong? I tried finding a settings tab in Cura, but there isn't one. Please reply back as soon as possible!!

I'm following the directions on how to use the Ultimaker from: http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-Start-Guide-Printing-with-Ultimaker-2/?ALLSTEPS

Thanks for your time,

Elsa

IMG_20160424_144047985.thumb.jpg.386613d0b8ffd4720973a61d9a602bc9.jpg

Capture.thumb.PNG.3782d2eabffc42e180ae888252ae13ff.PNG

Posted · PTC Creo Parametric -> STL file -> Cura -> Ultimaker 2 Dimension Conversion Problem

Very simple reason this is happening, cura uses metric and you're giving it files scaled for imperial. The reason it only prints a disc is because the sides of the circle are simply too small to physically be possible to print so it skips them entirely.

Export in metric or use the scale tool in cura to fix it.

In cura you can just click on the part and scale by 25.4 (the number of millimeters in an inch).